• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    Christmas shopping now done and "out for delivery" according to the app... though I do miss the days of humming jaunty Christmas carols to myself whilst standing in a long line of disgruntled last-minute shoppers in John Lewis.

I mentioned that I'd be doing the last-minute Christmas Eve shopping thing on Twitter the other year, and a journalist from Bloomberg Business got in touch and interviewed me for an article he was writing about the phenomenon. He put me in the final paragraph, enthusing about things like wrapping paper being half-price or better if you got there late enough

Comment

Today's important errand was going to be the opticians to see about my damaged glasses, which I couldn't do yesterday as I was waiting for a call-up from the GP and wasn't sure how much notice I'd get of an appointment, and afterwards the traffic across the river would have been unbearable. But I've tried phoning them a couple of times and it's gone to voicemail, so I suspect it's another one of those days when they simply don't open. I wonder if they'll be open again before Christmas, or even New Year?

Oh well, I've got used to wearing the slightly wonky ones after all the driving back and forth in them, so I'll be able to cope for a bit longer if I have to

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Today's important errand was going to be the opticians to see about my damaged glasses, which I couldn't do yesterday as I was waiting for a call-up from the GP and wasn't sure how much notice I'd get of an appointment, and afterwards the traffic across the river would have been unbearable. But I've tried phoning them a couple of times and it's gone to voicemail, so I suspect it's another one of those days when they simply don't open. I wonder if they'll be open again before Christmas, or even New Year?

Oh well, I've got used to wearing the slightly wonky ones after all the driving back and forth in them, so I'll be able to cope for a bit longer if I have to
        Ooh, gave them a final try and got through! They're seeing if they can fit me in this afternoon and calling me back shortly

Similar phone handling policy to the Chinese, it seems

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

I mentioned that I'd be doing the last-minute Christmas Eve shopping thing on Twitter the other year, and a journalist from Bloomberg Business got in touch and interviewed me for an article he was writing about the phenomenon. He put me in the final paragraph, enthusing about things like wrapping paper being half-price or better if you got there late enough
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Lunch: a bacon butty

I'm in at the opticians at 15:30. She said she thought they might still have one set of the same frames around the place, in which case they can swap my lenses over while I wait, but we'll just have to wait and see

And as I now realise that it's rather foolish to have spare reading glasses but no spare looking-far-away ones, I'll be getting another pair made

Now to go on Street View to work out where to park over there. I used to just walk as it's a few minutes up the road from the old place, and even if driving I had a resident's permit for the area. But now I'll have to either try to grab a shopping space, or use one of the few visitor's permits I have left.

Comment

The rain eased enough for me to venture to the post office to send off a return to Amazon (a process they make more difficult in the name of progress), a parcel of gifts and a card to my friend in Eire (unlikely it'll arrive in time but it's the thought that counts).

The WM finished a while ago and I really ought to sort that out.

Comment

Went very late to arty farty thing as son dropped round.

Need to make a bank transfer to bloke who fixed me boiler yesterday. Just thought, if I put a minus in front of the amount would it transfer from his to my account?
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Been to the opticians, two new pairs of glasses ordered as they didn't have the same frames any more

The chap phoned his supplier there and then to add the required lenses to an order that's being shipped today, and hopes to have the specs ready for Thursday or Friday, which is excellent

And while there, my sister phoned to tell me that our Dad's death is being referred to the coroner because it all started with him falling downstairs, so there may be an inquest

Comment

<rant>
                    Talking of WMs and things being fixed, ours was making a funny noise and not spinning properly. Called a man and he diagnosed a misshapen, rubbing door seal, which he took off, put on again and charged £89, but said if it still squeaked and rubbed, he would not charge for the return visit to fit a new one. Very fair. After two washes the squeaking resumed, so I contacted him. He cannot find a replacement for less than £250. There appear to be no "non-genuine" compatible parts. Google concurs. Machine is 15 years old but in good shape. Seems crazy to chuck a perfectly good washer/dryer for the sake of a door seal. Will keep an eye on ebay for second hand, but there's only been one in the last year so not optimistic.
                    </rant>

Comment

Very rude of me to forget my manners. Hope all denizens are dandy and well. I have covid, but apart from an annoying cough and need for afternoon naps, not feeling too bad with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X