• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Los Angeles, local time 2022

Much drama. Missed another connection thanks to Mr President.

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey start out, presumably softening us up for the alleged deluge tomorrow. Currently 12C and not getting any higher than 18° later, with the cloud continuing for the most part. The barometers are down a bit at 1001/1009mB

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Greetings from Los Angeles, local time 2022

Much drama. Missed another connection thanks to Mr President.
        At this rate, by the time you get there it'll be time to come back

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

At this rate, by the time you get there it'll be time to come back
          WNFS. .

Morning.

Friday.

Dry.

Hazy blue sky in parts.

Wanly sunny.

Cooler in here at 18.9 deg, 20.5 in the kitchen, 18 deg in the leanto, 14.4 deg in the salting house.

1011 mBar, 29.855 in Hg, 758.3 Torr, 14.6633 psi, (unchanged), 72% RH (GDR hair), 70% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 29th of June 2019 it was still too hot, apart from Diver who was cooled down with a nice fan, whereas NF was in the pub discussing grass & dinosaurs, as one does.

Smalls in the WM.

Smalls out of the WM & pegged out on the line.

Shirts in the WM.

Shirts out of the WM & pegged out on the line.

Cottons in the WM.

Cottons out of the WM & pegged out on the line.

Shirts in off the line, roughly iRoned, & airing upstairs.

Entertainment: The Infinite Monkey Cage S8.

Lunch: scrambled egg and poached tomato on toasted crust, bramble jelly & marmalade on less toasted non crust bread (looks like the linseed variety), red corner yog, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: More of The Infinite Monkey Cage: it'll be S9 for the next washing day.

Another bucket of apples met the compost heap.

Three lawns & the bit under the apple tree that didn't get mown yesterday duly mown.

Entertainment: Trucking Hell S2 E20. for a bit of it.

Tea: chicken in white sauce with rice n peas, a yog, the last of the peach slices, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM until it went <click>

Joy of Painting. Hope it's not another ocean one. very powerful in this.

Joy of Painting. until 10 minutes before the end.

Dial 999 E27 "Down to the sea": Gordon "The Professionals" Jackson and John "Doomwatch" Paul in this one. Diamond thieves in Tilbury Docks, way back when London still had docks & tramp steamers.

Spotted a jeweller's shop: Fishberg's:

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2019/09...rna-brunstein/

Long gone now to the demolition ball.

Also "H. Rinkoff Bakery" which is still going: started in 1953:

https://find-and-update.company-info...history?page=5

It's been going since 1911.

http://feeder.squarespace.com/rinkoffs-bakery

I like to find the locations in the ancient programmes that I watch.

https://www.theundergroundmap.com/article.html?id=42008

Am Dro. Oh good, the first chap looks like Heisenberg & lives in Llanelli & keeps snakes & spiders, plus he's a medium & talks the hind leg off a donkey. Curiously, the chap from Oswestry doesn't use the same words for cake & soup & suchlike. And Heisenberg's done his knee in so that's him out of the programme. Down to 3 now: the dry stone wall builder from Oswestry, with a walk from that Engerland to Owain Glyndwr's castle at Sychart. Then St. David's walk in Pembroke. Different word for onions in Oswestry. Who'd have thunk? Pontypridd to Senghenydd during the deluge.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 28 July 2023, 20:10.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Lunch: ham toasties

It continues grey here

Notified ClientGov that I'll be absent for my Mum's funeral, two weeks today. I'm taking the Thursday off too; being inside IR35 on this gig, I've got "annual leave" money being deducted each week, so I may as well get some of it back and have a bit of a break

I'm also taking a break the week of the August Bank Holiday. I'll probably need to keep the rest of the "leave" in reserve in case this thing is still running at Christmas and New Year

Comment

Timesheet done, and I reckon it's time for the weekend!

The bed is airing, so I'll need to remember to make that again or it won't be a very good start

Comment

Evening.

Dabbed some paint on the bathroom ceiling. It is rather like the Forth Road Bridge. Bits peel off, I scrape and paint, more bits peel off. I figure eventually everything that's gonna peel will have peeled, but I think I'm probably a few dozen iterations away from that point. Currently on iteration#5 - it doesn't look great, but definitely not as bad as bits of bare plaster and mould.

Lunch was fried egg sandwiches. Dinner is imminent and is cheesy pasta with sweetcorn.

Comment

Morning all, Portland calling, local time 1116

Sunny with occasional fluff. Currently 21 degrees with a high of 29 expected. A light breeze about.

We finally made it to Portland around midnight. Instead of two days here we now only have the one before we leave for Edmonton. Having a sturdy brunch in a local diner before we go exploring. I have picked up a cold.

Comment

Tea has been chicken thigh fillets in some kind of Caribbean sweet and smoky sauce, with rice and a mini-naan

I know naan isn't very Caribbean, but I got some mini ones when Sainsbury's were out of full-size ones a few weeks ago, so using one up with this seemed reasonable; I daresay they have some kind of flatbread in those far-flung isles

The opal hunters had their usual varying fortunes, with one lot finding an estimated AUS$100,000 worth from just one spot

And the bed has been made, so there'll be no unpleasant surprise later

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Morning all, Portland calling, local time 1116
                      Finally!

Comment

Working...
                      X