• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

You mean you had to, er, WAIT?

Like some sort of animal?

Shocked.
    I know! I thought the whole idea of doing everything online was that it would be ready when I arrived, but they seem to regard that as some kind of sorcery with which they will have no truck

Comment

Tea has been ribs and chips

Comment

The car earlier was the Chevrolet Luv, a small flatbed truck sold to a brewery. And the gold diggers were doing OK as they approach the end of this season, which I think was the last season before the coming season. Maybe they'll go back to the opal hunters once this one's done?

Then later, S1E4 of Slow Horses, Visiting Hours (TV Episode 2022). There's an awful lot of smoking in this one for a recent series

Then another chapter of Attack Warning Red! about Protect and Survive and similar efforts

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Yet another grey start out; 10°C, 18° later, you know the drill. Barometers are down a little at 1012/1020mB though, so at least something's changed

Comment

Morning.

Wednesday.

Woke at 05:35 but managed to return to the land of nod until 07:15 and again until 08:25. Which was good.

Dry.

Sunny.

Blue sky.

Cool in here at 19.3 deg, 20 deg in the kitchen, 19 deg in the leanto.

1017 and a tad, 30.04 in Hg, 763.0 Torr, 14.754 psi, (down from 1017.5 last night), 68% RH (GDR hair), 60% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 13th of June 2019 covbob was upset about his poor old cat(s), whilst WTFH got an Om, whereas I was cooking chilli con carne using ancient tins of stuff rescued from next door when I cleared the house, plus I discovered that the builders had nicked my dad's wooden loft ladder which pissed me off a tad.

Shopping trip to the bank & Morrisons done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away.

Lunch: scrambled egg and poached tomato on Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed toasted crust, bramble jelly and marmalade on slices of toast, red corner yog, a Morrisons mini pork pie (reduced), 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Y&Y with, unusually, Something Vaguely Inneresting, to whit: horology, horology courses, and the degree in such at Birmingham.

Which led me, inevitably, to The Clock of The Long Now.

https://longnow.org/clock/

I like their definition of "readily available materials" that includes stainless steel, titanium, and high grade ceramics, with artificial sapphire thrown in for good measure. That cam thing looks odd. I wonder what the aliens will make of it in 10,000 years time.

(Wanders off & spends half an hour reading "History Lesson" and "3001" by that Arthur C Clarke cove).

The afternoon has been spent moving stuff and cleaning under it in the front room office cum junk room.

Stone me it's hard work.

How come, when you take stuff out, clean under & behind it, it never then returns the way it was before. It must be some kind of magic where stuff expands when moved about.

It's about half done, as it transpires, so more exertion tomorrow. I'm getting too fecking old for this sort of thing, it must be time for another bonfire of the paperwork that infests the place. Then again I could leave it for whoever gets the pleasure once I'm dead.

Tea: chicken in white sauce with rice n peas, a yog, some mango slices, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM (though it's currently <click>).

Wheeler Dealers S13 E5 88 Ford Mustang "Fox-body" 5 litre V8: bought: $2k5, total: $7335, sold: $9k2. The lump of lard is so irritating now that his bits are entirely subtitled which also removes the "music". Changed the LSD since the clutches were toast: changed it from 3.08 to 3.73 (or somesuch) and changed the speedo drive gear too (there's posh then). Changed the exhaust headers and much of the exhaust, changed the induction side too, and changed the pulleys so the ancillaries didn't take so much power. Respray. Changed the wheels. Added red highlights since it looked like a hearse when it was all black. Changed the shocks. Did a dumb drag race for no readily apparent reason. What the feck was the geiger counter for?

Just finished the bottle of Islay malt. I wonder what's next. I think there's some meths here somewhere.

Digging for Britain: watched for long enough to see that her hair was red again.

Just plugged in an old countdown timer for a UV exposure box that's been sitting on the floor in the junkroom for 10 years or more: cue lots of smoke as a capacitor promtply short circuits and cracks open. It's a Rifa of course: the bane of old BBC B computer power supplies.

The Bad Skin Clinic S5 E8: a young chap with erythromelalgia (burning hand syndrome) plus keratosis pilaris. He gets laser treatment for the redness & botox for the pain. A woman who's stretched her earlobes. Well that fix was quick & easy. . A lady with necrobiosis xanthogranuloma. Laser treatment for redness & different laser treatment for lumps & bumps. Tattoo to give her eyebrows. Chap with skin tags. Diabetic. Also acanthosis nigricans. Snip snip. Well that was easy. 80 skin tags removed.

Dr Pimple Popper S5 E8. Chap with eczema on his hands. Oral corticosteroid to start, cotton lined gloves instead of rubber gloves. The steroids worked but can't be on them for very long, so it's ongoing. Woman with bumps around her eyes. Hydrocystomas. Difficult trying not to twitch with sharp things next to your eye. Elderly gent with cysts on his back. He's been treated by doctors who don't believe in local anaesthetic. He had some impressive cysts. And blackheads. He's 79 & still working.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 7 June 2023, 22:00.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Cloudy and breezy. Currently 12 degrees with a high of 22 expected and cloud cover set to dissipate. Barometer continues its slow descent to 1023 mBar.

Woke early but I didn't look at the clock. I think some noise outside woke me up. Managed to get myself out of bed to attend work.

Comment

Ham toasties for lunch

Comment

A cool morning has blossomed into yet another glorious afternoon... despoiled only by some utter burgher petrol strimming the entire jungle he calls a garden.

I have come to learn that living in a generally well kept neighborhood is the best argument for living in a remote and sparsely populated part of the country.

Bacon sandwich for lunch.
                  ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                  Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Tea: chicken madras with rice and naan

Comment

The car tonight was some kind of Mustang; they seem to have done a few of these now, all of them repeated endlessly. And the gold diggers had their usual variable rates of success.

Later, an episode of The Repair Shop, of which I now have many in reserve, having not watched it for a while

And then I watched several WWDC23 videos about some of the cool things Apple are adding to SwiftUI

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X