• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The extent of my gardening has been to douse the front path with weed killer

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Got through to the Brigadoon Chinese on the first try! I think it's the only time that's happened since I accepted they don't prioritise walk-ins and started phoning

Wait of an hour for the food, though
      Worth waiting for - very nice indeed

The disabled fox was out basking in a sunny patch on the lawn earlier. A magpie, apparently intent on finding insects, was also on the lawn and ended up making a full circle of it, usually within two to four feet of it. The bird obviously didn't regard the fox as any kind of threat, while the fox just watched the bird lazily for a bit then went back to scratching behind its ear

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Meanwhile, the energy supplier at the old flat has sent me a bill to cover energy use from the date I moved out to the present. I checked, and definitely have the email acknowledging that I moved out on that date. The new bill even shows the refund I received based on the final meter reading. So I'll be telling them to buck their ideas up, when I can be bothered
        All sorted out via Twitter - they said they can see that my original final bill was done and dusted, and to ignore this one; it only got sent to me because I hadn't been removed as the primary contact for the account, so they've done that too

Comment

Spotted a new 24 Hours in A&E that aired on Thursday. Back at St George's. I didn't recognise any of the stories so thought it might be truly new. However, in the round up at the end, one of the elderly patients was reported as having died, in 2017. Not new then.

If I had bothered reading the programme synopsis I would have spotted the even bigger clue: "some memorable stories..."
          Last edited by ladymuck; 20 May 2023, 20:54.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Spotted a new 24 Hours in A&E that aired on Thursday. Back at St George's. I didn't recognise any of the stories so thought it might be truly new. However, in the round up at the end, one of the elderly patients was reported as having died, in 2017. Not new then.

If I had bothered reading the programme synopsis I would have spotted the even bigger clue: "some memorable stories..."
            They did that with the last "new" one. Seems a bit of a scam to me; if they've collated a bunch of greatest hits, it's not "24 Hours" it's more like "a few months" or even "a couple of years". I haven't checked if the intro includes the "all the patients you're about to see were seen in one 24 hour period" bit but if not, the lack of that would be another tell

Tonight's major motion picture premiere round here was The Fog (1980) which is one of those films that was probably good enough in 1980 but seems a bit hamfisted now. As Sam Goldwyn might have said, it has the mucus of a good story. While most remakes are a waste of space, this strikes me as one where somebody could turn it into something quite decent, mainly by providing it with a well-constructed story rather than the wooly-minded nonsense this version was burdened with

And then a couple of rewatches, to wit, The Martian (2015) and A Quiet Place (2018), both of which are better

Goodnight all

Comment

^^^ then again: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0432291/

. It seems to lack 3 things: John Houseman & Jamie Lee Curtis.

Morning.

Sunday.

Awake unbidden at 05:35.

Dry.

Sunny.

Bright.

Blue sky.

Cool in here at 17.1 deg, 19 deg in the kitchen, 16 deg in the leanto.

1019 mBar, 30.09 in Hg, 764.3 Torr, 14.779 psi, (down from 1020 last night), 75% RH (GDR hair), 70% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 7th of June 2019 (continued) NF bought some plastic bins to put the remaining crap in before sorting same, while I indulged in some M&S breaded haddock, it being rather before M&S pissed me off enough to make me buy it from Tesco instead, who have remained the supplier of choice ever since. NF watched "The Operator" aka "Crossed Lines" or somesuch which has an IMDB rating rather higher than the remake of "The Fog (2005)".

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the wan sunshine with high haze.

Lunch: baked potato with cheese & baked beans, a reg corner yog, bramble jelly & marmalade on slices of toast, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: assorted 1980s hits shows, a 1960s hit show, and now Dan Do yng Nghymraeg mit subtitles, which I suspect I've seen before: Cynefin.

Interspersed with "Turn back Time" with that Cher on the Battleship Missouri, wearing Not A Lot.

Shopping trip to Morrisons done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away.

It's almost warm out there. Didn't need a jacket.

Entertainment: Aliens bollox on Blaze.

Tea: Morrisons carrot and parsnip soup with Morrisons sunflower & pumpkin seed bread/oat & barley bread, the last of the apricot halves, a yog, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: yet more Aliens bollox on Blaze.

Freecell score: 94%, running average: 85%.

Book of Secretss with the late Lance Reddick: The Secret Service protection for POTUS.

The Repaire Shoppe though I'm not really watching it.

Bits of "The Dead Pool" with that Clinton Eastwood chap.

And that's the end of the little bottle of "Caol Ila" whiskey. Nice.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 22 May 2023, 13:25.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Blue sky, a mere wisp of cloud here and there. Currently 16 degrees with a high of 19 expected. The barometer continues its downward trend and is at 1022 mBar.

Heading south to visit Mum today. Weather down there much the same. Lawns to be mowed and tools to be borrowed.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Pleasant day out but they've over-ordered the cumulus, so not a lot in the way of direct sunlight. Currently 18°C, getting to 19° in a bit, and the barometers are down at 1011/1019mB

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  Ah, I wondered if there had in fact been a remake which was dreadful, but I couldn't be bothered to look it up

Comment

Bit of chicken hotpot for lunch

Comment

Mild enough out that I've got all the windows and doors open throughout the flat, getting a bit of fresh air through the place
                      Last edited by NickFitz; 21 May 2023, 14:20. Reason: There's more than one door in the place.

Comment

Working...
                      X