• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    There's a smileys scoreboard?
    No, it just occurred to me that I could spider TPD over the weekend and count up the occurences of each smiley, and then present the results.

Have to respect robots.txt, of course...

/scampers off to check CUG's robots.txt

Comment

Code:
      User-agent: *
      Disallow: /printthread
      Disallow: /sendmessage
      Disallow: /register
      Disallow: /login
      Disallow: /newreply
      Disallow: /subscription
      Disallow: /private
      Disallow: /misc
      Disallow: /showpost
      Disallow: /report
      Disallow: /newthread
      Disallow: /transfer
      Disallow: /calendar.php?do=add
      Disallow: /poll
      Glad to see we don't get something added to the calendar every time Google pops by... which seems to be about every 20 minutes at the moment

Comment

My elbow joints hurt.
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Looks OK to spider the thread, anyway... have to take some time over it, not just hammer the server every 20 milliseconds or something...

Comment

My fore-arms hurt.
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

My wrists hurt.
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

My shoulders hurt.
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

But I can't stop playing. It's really quite addictive.
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

wget presumably provides all the necessary options, but one has to read the man page to find out what they are

BTW Stu, I'm not ignoring your extensive list of computer-game-related injuries; I was going to wait until the end so I could address the situation as comprehensively as possible once I am in full possession of the facts

Comment

I think an interesting way to do it would be to have one of my other machines act as a proxy by way of a servlet that takes the HTML in the response and runs it through the TagSoup parser, which generates a valid sequence of SAX events representing the structure the code would have if it was XHTML (and therefore XML), which can be fed to an XSLT processor which can transform the XHTML, combined with the document generated on the previous run, into the actual scoreboard page, such that the client never actually sees the posts, but just the running total of smilies.

You could use the query string to determine which results you got: for example, see all threads containing smiley x.

Comment

Working...
                      X