• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Just popped out the back to check the main gate (which some idiot had left open, again) and somebody has been sniffing around Mystery Bike. I’d left it behind the Super Monkey Car where it was originally deposited, with a few inches of the back wheel poking out due to a branch of the buddleia preventing it going in any further. But it had been pulled out, such that all of the back wheel was exposed - which is, of course, just as far as you’d need to extract it before realising it has no chain.

So it was a lazy person, who didn’t want it badly enough to push it home and repair it

Next Tuesday is the 28 day mark, after which it graduates to “my new bike” status. I’ll see about making room for it in here and getting it inside tomorrow as, given the (moderate amount of) trouble I’ve been to over it, I think I deserve it more than some passing miscreant
    Mystery Bike has been brought in from the cold. On closer inspection, I think it’s smaller than is right for me; I take a bike at least one size larger. But I assume the seat can be raised, which will probably make it usable to be going on with

One strange thing is that whoever was at it yesterday seems to have taken the broken chain away with them. It was sort of left dangling from the horizontal bit that goes to the rear wheel hub, on the opposite side to the gears, by whoever originally dumped it. But now it’s vanished completely

Comment

Hot dog for lunch

Mainly because there was only one frankfurter left in the freezer, and there was something about its singularity that I found mildly irritating. I think it’s because I kept on finding it when I was looking for other stuff, so it was distracting

Anyway, it was very tasty

Comment

Bored Now.

So I read a bit of the book about Admiral Canaris and a bit of the book about Vietnam (A bright shining lie), specifically the bit about what happened between 1945 and 1950.

It's quite inneresting that "we" rearmed the Japanese soldiers in VN after the surrender so "we" could keep order there.

Which is ironic in a very ironic sort of way.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Changed the bed

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Changed the bed
            I intended to do that yesterday but in the end I left it too late to wash the sheets.

Tea this evening was chili con carne with rice which was very nice.

Spending a week or so in the freezer seems to have increased the hotness a bit.

Supplemented by 1.05 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Turned the heating on at 16:00ish and now it's a balmy 21 deg in here.

The fan blowing air across the radiator increases the heat transfer efficiency quite a lot.

Checked the number left by the scamming bastard phone call from 07:50 this morning: obviously a fake number since the who called me thing doesn't know it.

I take a very dim view of scamming ***** ringing me up before 8 on a Saturday.

Had an email from Regressive this morning about an opportunity in ATE programming in semiconductors.

Something I haven't done in 30 years and is thusly reduced to one line in the CV basically saying "ATE programmer Siliconix Ltd".

Fortunately it's away so I'm not innerested in the slightest, plus it's some aspect of ATE programming related to semiconductors I know feck all about.

In addition, having spent 10 fecking years doing that sort of programming I have no desire to spend even another 10 minutes more doing it.

Once I've done the dishes, it's time for more BTVS and Angel, being S6 E16 & 17 and S3 E16 & 17 respectively.

I'm finding the arc in Angel peculiarly unsatisfying which probably explains why I have no memory of it at all, though it is about 15 or 16 years since I watched it.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 30 November 2019, 17:41.

Comment

Still only 18° in here

The bedding that was removed earlier has now been washed. This is unprecedented, as usually it sits around for ages before I get around to cleaning it

Comment

Now watching the thing on 4 about Cheddar Man.

10000 years old.

Probly a time traveller with a broken time machine.

Happens a lot.

I think it's Threaded.

In other news, I seem to be drinking again.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

In other news, I seem to be drinking again.
                  Welcome back to the fold

happy st andrew's day

chicken jalfrezi for evening repast.
                  and a nice sarf amurkan merlot.

Comment

DD is now watching "Im a nobody resurrect my career"....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      DD is now watching "Im a nobody resurrect my career"....
                      WTF is DD??

Comment

Working...
                      X