• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    I realise this isn't the place, but wtf is HMRC investigating umbrella users for 2017 for?

I thought that all NI & PAYE deductions were made by the umbrella or am I missing something?
    depends how kosher the brolly was, i suppose

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      depends how kosher the brolly was, i suppose
      As in unlimited expenses sort of thing?
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

As in unlimited expenses sort of thing?
        yeh, sort of thing.

basically they should be a payroll co.
        and you shouldn't get any funny tax breaks.

Comment

yeh, sort of thing.

basically they should be a payroll co.
          and you shouldn't get any funny tax breaks.
          but i don't claim to be an expert.
          i've only contracted for 45 years, in seven countries.
          in IT.
          when it was 'something to do with computers' to most.
          but i'd get proper advice if you think you were with a dodgy outfit.

Comment

Just been to the tip with the remains of the broken-down tall white bookcase, and a sort of decrepit drawer affair that lurked in the corner of the window bay. Their mission in the world is completed

And that means the last two bastions of mouse contamination behind them have been fully exposed. Not too bad, once I'd run the vacuum over them. The carpet shampooer thing should sort out the rest.

In fact, once that's done, those'll be the best areas of carpet in the whole room, having been protected from anything larger than a mouse since I dumped those things there when I moved in, a couple of days after the carpet was laid

Comment

but i don't claim to be an expert.
              i've only contracted for 45 years, in seven countries.
              in IT.
              when it was 'something to do with computers' to most.
              but i'd get proper advice if you think you were with a dodgy outfit.

Oh, I've never used an umbrella, I had my own company such as it was, but I had the impression that the umbrella, being automagically inside IR35, was a worry free thing.

Obviously I was suffering under a misapprehension of some sort.

^^^
              Glad to hear that the ongoing mouse lavatorial endeavours are proving successful.

I'll be hiring a van shortly in an endeavour to rid the place of more crap.

Just been down to look at the rear brake pads on next door's car.

Yes.

That really is the reason there's a nasty grinding noise when you drive it.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 5 June 2019, 19:58.

Comment

Oh, I've never used an umbrella, I had my own company such as it was, but I had the impression that the umbrella, being automagically inside IR35, was a worry free thing.

Obviously I was suffering under a misapprehension of some sort.
                I suspect it's something to do with this kind of thing: Umbrella companies offering to increase your take home pay (Spotlight 45) - GOV.UK

Comment

Just been down to look at the rear brake pads on next door's car.

Yes.

That really is the reason there's a nasty grinding noise when you drive it.
                  Mine was both a front and rear brake, with a similar result plus some very strange vibrations at motorway speeds

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    I suspect it's something to do with this kind of thing: Umbrella companies offering to increase your take home pay (Spotlight 45) - GOV.UK
                    Thanks for that.

It's amazing how dubious some of these schemes are.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Mine was both a front and rear brake, with a similar result plus some very strange vibrations at motorway speeds
                    Fun innit.

Comment

Tea has been chicken casserole, which I apparently froze on the 10th February last, with chips and peas. I'm not sure what recipe I concocted back then, but it was inordinately flavoursome; I think it contained a decent helping of white wine among other things

Comment

Working...
                      X