• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Gorn but not forgotten.
    Who????

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Dominoes pizza for lunch. It appears that Scottish management food choices live up to Scottish stereotypes.

I suspect for our working dinner tonight we'll be offered burgers or fish & chips.
      I hope they have done the decent thing and fried that pizza in batter - I mean how else are the toppings supposed to stay on?

Deep-fried pizza - Wikipedia

Comment

Google Maps is convinced I should go all the way down to the M40 to avoid a closure on a minor road in London that isn't even on the route I'm going to take when I get that far

Seems there are also several causes of delay on the M1, but even so, I can probably do better by heading straight down. They'll either be cleared once I get there, or some local detour will sort me out.

So off I go! See you in London

Comment

Made it!

There was an accident between J13 and J12 of the M1, so Google took me off at J14 and on a most unusual route through places I've not been in decades, like Aspley Guise and Woburn Sands, including some narrow lanes, but which suddenly brought me out at J12

Comment

Tea/dinner this evening was M&S battered haddock.

It was very nice.

This was followed by the mowing of 3 lawns, incuding the front lawn belonging to the next door neighbours.

After which exertions, one settled down to watch "Crocodile Dundee (1986)" with Paul "Fosters" Hogan and Linda Kozlowski.

Crocodile Dundee (1986) - IMDb

It seems as fresh as it did 30 odd years ago though I'm more or less word perfect.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Made it!

There was an accident between J13 and J12 of the M1, so Google took me off at J14 and on a most unusual route through places I've not been in decades, like Aspley Guise and Woburn Sands, including some narrow lanes, but which suddenly brought me out at J12
            I remember those places from when I worked in Letchworth some 20 or so years ago.

They were on the across country backroads route I used to take between Stotfold and Stow on the Wold.

A route so slow that when I subsequently drove it in my much loved Fiat Croma of immortal memory, I rarely got the thing out of 3rd and it certainly never got into 5th.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 3 May 2019, 21:44.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

In the Harp, as nature intended

Comment

Back from the pub. There's not a soul there now that I know or that knows me, on either side of the bar. But that's no different from when I first went there, and it's still a very good pub, even though Binny's dead and the rest are gone now

Comment

After which exertions, one settled down to watch "Crocodile Dundee (1986)" with Paul "Fosters" Hogan and Linda Kozlowski.

Crocodile Dundee (1986) - IMDb

It seems as fresh as it did 30 odd years ago though I'm more or less word perfect.
                  I was thinking about that film the other day, and wondering how it would stand up now - it was probably on a "people also bought" list somewhere when I bought something. I'll give it a go, as I always liked it

I remember those places from when I worked in Letchworth some 20 or so years ago.

They were on the across country backroads route I used to take between Stotfold and Stow on the Wold.

A route so slow that when I subsequently drove it in my much loved Fiat Croma of immortal memory, I rarely got the thing out of 3rd and it certainly never got into 5th.
                  Yes, it was very rural Bedfordshire, which I know fairly well; but there were places I've never heard of, nor noticed on my 1970s OS map

A bit of time involved skirting the Woburn estate, which is mostly surrounded by an old, high red brick wall which follows the landscape no matter what, leading to some remarkable places where it drops several feet into a dip and out the other side, remaining so consistent throughout that it would look unrealistically mathematically perfect if you put it in a video game. It was built on the orders of a Duke of Bedford back in Victorian times, I believe; there was a serious depression, and no dole to speak of, so he ordered the wall to be built as a scheme to provide work for unemployed labourers. And of course he got a wall at, I assume, a fair bit less than the going rate before labourer's wages plummeted, but it still seems like an OK bit of practical philanthropy to me, and I've always thought the wall is a good wall as walls go

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    I suppose I ought to be thinking about organising myself for the journey to London. I've decided not to stay over on Saturday, so I should be able to cram everything into the messenger bag I got from a conference in 2007.
                    That worked, FWIW

One thought that occurs to me: as I'm not staying in the hotel tomorrow, I won't have any reason to aim to get the car into the "business permit" spot by the front door within seconds of 13:30 tomorrow when the restriction ends. Shame really; I've enjoyed the trivial sense of achievement that came from that in previous years, but it makes more sense to find a space on Red Lion Square, outside the venue

Comment

Anyway, I need to be up for the Premier Inn breakfast in a few hours!

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X