• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One for DS

Asda offers 'free alcohol' in wrong Welsh translation - BBC News

Comment

A recent chase question.

What proportion of the Welsh speak Welsh.

A. 19%
      B. 39%
      C. 59%

I got it wrong.....

Comment

Clouding over a bit now, though not in a rainy way.

No sign of a new satellite dish anywhere out the back, so maybe he was just replacing the cable. It looks fairly shiny where it runs along the wall. Or maybe he forgot to bring the dish. Can you run two cables off one dish? If so, maybe he's done that.

In a startling break with tradition, the bins have been emptied

I suspect somebody has complained to the council about them not having been done for nearly three weeks, meaning they were well past full to overflowing, and had them come out specially. I've remembered that they can't actually use the excuse of the gate being locked when they come, as the Residents' Association that owns/controls the gate provided the council with a key to be issued to the binfolk. So if they can't get in either they've not brought the key, they've not been told about it, somebody has lost it, or they couldn't be bothered; all of which are on them.

Comment

Laundry done

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            They've just reissued it in HD. The Blu-ray is in my "to-watch" pile

I'm planning a special evening, as I've also got The War Game and the American one, The Day After. The three of them should make for a good night's viewing
            Make sure you hide all the sharp objects, the rope, and turn the gas off at the meter.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              ... and are billable.
              I've slept through and billed for "Manual Handling and Preventing Back Injuries" and "Six Sigma" presentations. .

Comment

No sign of a new satellite dish anywhere out the back, so maybe he was just replacing the cable. It looks fairly shiny where it runs along the wall. Or maybe he forgot to bring the dish. Can you run two cables off one dish? If so, maybe he's done that.
                Yes. One dish, dual or quad LNB.

For the really enterprising, there's octo LNBs and for the even more enterprising, there's quattro LNBs but you need a magic switch box for those.

What is the difference between Quad LNB and Quattro LNB? | Satellite Dish

Though the magic box is termed a multiswitch these days.

Then again, with Sky Q it's all so odd that feck nose what's going on.

Complicated ain't the word for it, the Sky Q lnb can have 6 outputs, the 4 usual ones and two more for the Sky Q box.

In other news, I've been tidying the place up a bit.

And have selected a fine selection of application notes & circuit ideas for donation to the waste paper dump.

They've been there since the early 80s through to the late 90s.

The only few I've kept were extracted from "Freelance Informer" and are all about ancient computer systems, Enigma, and Colossus.

<hiatus>

Tea/dinner this evening was yet more of that fecking turkey.

The cat is having the rest whether it wants it or not.

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                I suspect this evening's televisual epic is likely to be "The Hunchback of Notre Dame( 1939)" with Charles Laughton and Maureen O'Hara.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939) - IMDb
                Wrong!

It the 1923 version, with Lon Chaney Snr:

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923) - IMDb

I wondered why it said "Silent" on the rear cover.

Now I'll have to look out for the 1939 version.

<hiatus>

Well that seemed rather longer than its 96 minutes run time.

Now watching the Alien nutjobs on "Blaze".

Madder than a box of frogs or a bag of hammers.

Enough of which when von Daniken appeared like an eminence grise.

On to "Car SOS" on More 4, which details how to repair an Aston Martin DB6.

When it's got terminal rust and an engine that "just stopped".

Turns out that it "just stopped" because of a wiring fault which they found after completely rebuilding the fecking thing & attempting to start it.

I'd have thunk that checking for 12V on the top of the coil might have been a bit of a giveaway really.

I remember a GT6 with an open circuit ballast resistor that foxed us for a while.

It would start then stop as soon as you let the key go.

Feck me, that was 40 years ago.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 17 April 2019, 22:07.

Comment

Tea tonight has been a roast smoked gammon joint (well, not all of it) with chips, beans, fried egg, and pineapple. Exceedingly nice, and very filling with that lot thrown in

Comment

Of tonight's rewatch, I previously said:

Tonight's movie spectacular was K-19: the Widowmaker, based (very loosely according to the surviving crew members) on the true story of the USSR's first nuclear missile submarine, which broke down in the North Atlantic on its maiden voyage. It was interesting enough, but not as exciting as, say The Hunt for Red October or Morning Departure
                    Tonight's conclusion: it's very good, even if not as exciting off the bat as some sub movies because they were made to be big action things and this wasn't the same kind of story. Worth a watch.

Goodnight all

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X