• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life at Strangelove Towers has reached the height of excitement with the filling in of a pothole (fecking large) in the back lane.

It's another one that'll turn into a sea of mud shortly.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
      Life at Strangelove Towers has reached the height of excitement with the filling in of a pothole (fecking large) in the back lane.

It's another one that'll turn into a sea of mud shortly.
      Some people live for pleasure alone

Comment

My mother did the usual thing of making turkey soup overnight - it gets about ten or twelve hours in a very low oven, and is absolutely delicious. I've just divvied up my share, which turned out to be four large bowls. So three of them have gone in the freezer, and one will be my tea tonight

Comment

I couldn't get over the amount of food that was thrown away yesterday.

There must have been about 5lbs of boiled spud, half a saucepan of sprouts, and whatever else remained of the wegetables.

Strangelove Mater would have been horrified and is no doubt spinning in her grave.

I brought home, as mentioned above, an M&S extra fruity xmas pud, of which I extracted, with some difficulty, a sixth, which was nuked for about a minute or so, left to cool, then anointed with a cupful of the brandy sauce.

It was all Very Nice, if you like that sort of thing.

Made my Tesco(tm) individual xmas puds pale into insignificance.

To celebrate the pothole filling I had a cold shower to cool down after the exertion.

I used the wheelbarrow left behind by the <spit> builder <spit> to carry the filling to the pothole.

From the sounds of things yesterday, the bastard is into us for rather more than the £5k you can claim in the small claims court.

On the Strangelove walk earlier, it was noticed that the far bank of the river is being eroded particularly quickly at the moment.

Presumably the river is doing one of its periodic wiggles.

The residents of the road should be grateful the canal is where it is because otherwise that wiggle would be eating the bottom of the garden.

Looking at the lie of the land, it's pretty obvious that at one time, before the canal was constructed, much of the back gardens were in the river, and gradually become filled in as the wiggle wiggled.

Tea/dinner/lunch/brunch/breakfast this evening was the aforementioned M&S Xmas pud, preceded by some Morrisons smoked haddock (reduced from £4 odd to 95p so extra tasty), with assorted wegetables.

It was rather pleasant all in all and a welcome change from the excesses of the past couple of days.

Oh good. Count Arthur Strong has finished.

Thank feck for that.

I hate that very nearly as much as "I'm sorry I haven't a clue, Huw".
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 26 December 2018, 18:59.

Comment

I couldn't get over the amount of food that was thrown away yesterday.

There must have been about 5lbs of boiled spud, half a saucepan of sprouts, and whatever else remained of the wegetables.

Strangelove Mater would have been horrified and is no doubt spinning in her grave.

Not sure what could be done with the sprouts and such, but those spuds could be knocked into bits with a fork, or even a spatula, and quickly fried in a hot pan (turkey dripping would be good) with a bit of salt and pepper for a really nice Boxing Day snack

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Not sure what could be done with the sprouts and such, but those spuds could be knocked into bits with a fork, or even a spatula, and quickly fried in a hot pan (turkey dripping would be good) with a bit of salt and pepper for a really nice Boxing Day snack
              I suppose the sprouts could have gone in bubble & squeak at a push, though it would a pretty big push.

The thing that got me the most is that I'm more or less the only one who likes boiled spuds, so wtf was the point of boiling 5lbs of the damn things?

I forgot the roast spuds and parsnips that went in there too.

It's a bit of a commentary on modern life all in all.

The only things that go in the compost heap are peelings and stuff that really has marched past it's use by date, normally by becoming furry, but not in a good way.

In other other news, despite being nearly crushed to death by a tower of dvds, I've located "Ebenezer" at long last.

Ebenezer (TV Movie 1998) - IMDb

I was sure I'd bought it but could never spot it in the pile.

Currently playing is "It's A Wonderful Life" with that tall guy with the drawl.

It's many years since I watched it and I find I've forgotten almost all of it.

It's a Wonderful Life (1946) - IMDb

Have I mentioned that Strangelove Sister has come down with bronchitis again?

She caught a cold at one of the last meetings before she retired and thusly got a nasty case of coughing which has turned into bronchitis.

Straight on the steroids, assuming she can get a prescription filled today.

Almost as bad as riding on the fecking X5 through Briton Ferry or going to That London for a pissup.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 26 December 2018, 20:42.

Comment

Currently playing is "It's A Wonderful Life" with that tall guy with the drawl.

It's many years since I watched it and I find I've forgotten almost all of it.

It's a Wonderful Life (1946) - IMDb
                It's probably decades since I've seen it. I'll save it for next year

Have I mentioned that Strangelove Sister has come down with bronchitis again?

She caught a cold at one of the last meetings before she retired and thusly got a nasty case of coughing which has turned into bronchitis.

Straight on the steroids, assuming she can get a prescription filled today.

Almost as bad as riding on the fecking X5 through Briton Ferry or going to That London for a pissup.
                Ugh

My lurgy has largely receded now. Still the occasional sneeze and a bit of a cough, but my temperature seems to be about normal

Comment

Tea has, as predicted earlier, been turkey soup; accompanied by a nice thick bit of wholemeal bread

And now I think I shall have a beer or two while watching some film or other

Comment

Restaurant today for two. Grilled fish, rice, salad, fresh baked bread, bottle Vinho Verde, Créme Caramél ...€22.50 all in.

Where do we get it so wrong?
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

It's probably decades since I've seen it. I'll save it for next year
                      I enjoyed it.

The "Ebeneza" thing was definitely odd, but ok in its way.

Set in Canada IIRC.

Mounties had rather odd uniforms back in the day.

And now I think I shall have a beer or two while watching some film or other
                      I've been dry all day today in an attempt to dry out and clean the system out a bit.

I've eaten most of the biscuits instead.

Comment

Working...
                      X