• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Bummer.

Sometimes there's gigantic spikes when the substation fuse goes.
    Probably something like that, or maybe a brief loss of power. I didn't notice anything, but if something did happen, it was while the iMac was installing updates as it ended up with a corrupted boot system, the 4TB drive died then, and the 3TB has been seriously flaky ever since.

I was, IIRC, in the kitchen at the time. The power went the following lunchtime.

Ah well, as I say, nothing actually lost entirely, other than backups of the iMac

Comment

TFBSZ.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Tonight's entertainment started with an episode of Seinfeld, as the entire collection was on iTunes for a mere twenty quid, and although I've never been as obsessed with it as some people seem to be, it's pretty good and a steal at that price.

And after that, the main feature: Road to Perdition (2002), with Tom Hanks as a gangster on the run from the mob with his young son in 1931, after said son accidentally witnesses a murder. Very good, but very sombre; not a single laugh anywhere in this one.

I suspect I'm coming down with the lurgy that's so popular at the moment. My throat feels rather rough, and occasional sniffling is happening

Goodnight all

Comment

Dark in Manchester - only a few days before it starts getting lighter again mind you.

12 degrees on the car - which is balmy for the time of year.

Roll on summer.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            Dark in Manchester - only a few days before it starts getting lighter again mind you.

12 degrees on the car - which is barmy for the time of year.

Roll on summer.
            Quite.

And FTFY.

Morning.

Black side of grey.

Wet. Very.

Windy. Very.

Unseasonably warm.

Hideous cough.

Streaming nose.

Sneezing.

Quite unpleasant.

MOT at 9 assuming I can survive until then.

Family flowers only.

Currently fed up of listening to lying politicians on the wireless.

<hiatus>

MOT got.

Car needs spraying with old engine oil underneath, which isn't surprising since it's 14 years old.

That'll have to wait until it's a bit warmer & dry.

So Octoberish then.

Now for another dose of cough mixture, then it's off out down town.

Bread and cox's orange pippins today.

<hiatus with added rain and wind>

In with the hoi polloi in the library.

No unfortunate sod attempting to claim UC today.

<We see you baldy Tory Bastard>
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 18 December 2018, 10:40.

Comment

Morning denizens

The lurgy got me: I have an incredibly sore throat, though other symptoms are only mild at the moment

Ironic really, for a year ago today:

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              I'm the Discharge Lounge, and the links are up
              Yes, missing "in", but I was on my phone

Comment

Morning denizens

The lurgy got me: I have an incredibly sore throat, though other symptoms are only mild at the moment

I am a full blown snot monster.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  I am a full blown snot monster.
                  It's going to that London wot dun it.

Morning denizens

Shocking, the lack of care of the youth of today.

A missing "in".

<tuts quietly to himself>

The lurgie is unpleasant, the one I'm currently afflicted with started with a half hearted (see wot I did there?) sore throat, but progressed to the streaming coughing wheezing stage pretty quickly.

I've been to Swansea for the first time in yonks and purchased "a number" of dvds during my stay.

It was an X5 down and a 58 back.

Timed it just right coz the heavens opened at 12:55 and the deluge began, aided by a good dose of murrain of beasts just to be sure.

The 58 seemed to be sending rivers of water over the pavements on Fabian Way & I'm glad I wasn't walking on any of them.

In other news, since my last wander around Swansea, sometime in August, they seem to have completed most of the digging up of the roads.

Which is a plus.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 18 December 2018, 14:25.

Comment

Paracetamol (left over from early in the year) seems to be making the sore throat slightly less burdensome, so lunch is a sandwich (wholemeal) of the rest of the other day's wafer-thin turkey and crispy bacon strips

I need to go to the chemist to collect my monthly prescription at some point

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                      TODDY! - i tell you, - TODDY
                      WBR14S.

ISTR that gin and paracetamol got me through many a sleepless night when I had toothache.

A capful of gin and a couple of paracetamol & I was out like a light.

Dunno wot it did to my liver, mind.

In other news, I've just discovered that the original Whittle jet engine was replaced by an engine designed in secret by Rover with the Air Ministry's approval.

It became the basis for the Rolls Royce engines that followed.

And it was ever so kind of the 45 Labour government to gift these engines to Uncle Joe so he could have them reverse engineered for the Mig15.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 18 December 2018, 15:10.

Comment

Working...
                      X