• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Made it to Brighton

Nice seaview room - well, it would be if it wasn't dark. Not the one I've had the last two years with the little flat roof of a bay window outside on which a seagull stands every morning, though.

They told me they'd "been able to give you a larger room than the one you booked" which I assume is hotel-speak for "We're not very busy this week"
    nah, 'we double booked your room, but some bugger cancelled the four poster, so you can have it'

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      nah, 'we double booked your room, but some bugger cancelled the four poster, so you can have it'
      No four poster, but it's possible I suppose

They mentioned me checking in "late"; I assume that means the "What time will you arrive" thing on their booking form isn't completely ignored, as I've always assumed. I always just stick down 6pm, as I generally get here around two hours either side of that, and I don't really see why they care anyway

Comment

Just had tea: fish & chips, as is required when one is at the seaside

I went to the chip shop I first tried last year which turned out to be very good indeed. Since then it's been sold and completely refitted under a new identity, but it still gets good reviews, and it seems just as good as last year

Comment

No four poster, but it's possible I suppose

They mentioned me checking in "late"; I assume that means the "What time will you arrive" thing on their booking form isn't completely ignored, as I've always assumed. I always just stick down 6pm, as I generally get here around two hours either side of that, and I don't really see why they care anyway
          probably worried about 'no shows' perhaps? or attempting to assume the higher ground?
          doors locked at 10 pm, no ladies in the room?

Comment

One well remembers turning up at the Travel Inn in Cheltenham to find that they'd given my room to someone else because "we didn't have a credit card number for you" despite me having stayed there for 9 months & having spent knocking on for £10k the previous year.

I was a lot of things but a happy bunny wasn't one of them.

It set the scene for the entire disasterous 3 weeks before I walked.

This evening's televisual epics included "Impossible Engineering" during which I fell asleep despite it waffling on about jackard looms and punched card computer programming and Herman Hollerith, followed by "World War Weird" wherein we learned that History might have beeen changed had George HW Bush been eaten or murdered by the evil Japanese during WWII.

Just think how that might have changed things.

Then we had the murder of the Mad Monk Rasputin and how that might have changed history.

Followed by "TBBT" which one can readily tell is on its last legs.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Hadn't remembered that this time last year, the car reached 100K on the way down here: test please delete - Page 28678

It's probably going to reach 120K on the way back
              And this year, we had 128821 somewhere between the M25 junction with the M40, and the stretch past Heathrow

Comment

There's a long line of red lights out to sea, on the windmills that have been set up there over the last couple of years. They blink, in unison, dot-dash-dash, which is W

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  One well remembers turning up at the Travel Inn in Cheltenham to find that they'd given my room to someone else because "we didn't have a credit card number for you" despite me having stayed there for 9 months & having spent knocking on for £10k the previous year.

I was a lot of things but a happy bunny wasn't one of them.
                  I used to travel to Cheltenham by train on Sunday evening, staying in a pub in the town centre during the week. One time Virgin Trains managed to make a complete mess of things, meaning I wouldn't arrive until after the pub shut. I phoned them from Birmingham New Street to tell them, and the barmaid assured me she'd make sure Trevor, the landlord, knew I'd be arriving some time after eleven-thirty.

Unfortunately, Trevor spent the evening getting absolutely hammered with a bunch of mates, with the result that when I finally got there, it was impossible to rouse him either with the bell, the phone, or by hammering on the door. So I hailed a cab and asked the bloke to find me a hotel that would take me in after midnight.

He took me to, as I recall, three different B&Bs, none of which showed any signs of life at that time of night, until in the end I explained that despite my appearance, money was no object and could we just go to a hotel big and expensive enough to have a night porter or something. So I ended up spending about three times as much as a week at the pub normally cost me for one night in the very salubrious George Hotel

Comment

Tide's right in now; I can hear it breaking on the shore

Suppose I'd better get to sleep if I want to be first down for breakfast

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

No sun yet, but looks like it may turn out rather Simpsonesque in a bit

First down for breakfast for the third year in a row, I believe

Comment

Working...
                      X