• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    it's my way or the highway......
    Ah yes; when he said that line, I was wondering if it was a cliché or if perhaps it originally came from this film. Google ngrams to the rescue: https://books.google.com/ngrams/grap...IGHWAY%3B%2Cc0

So it seems like it wasn't an original line but also wasn't so clichéd then, and the film itself didn't do much to popularise the phrase upon its release. Whether the rise in usage seen during the 1990s came about due to the film gaining some kind of cult following on VHS (according to IMDb) isn't clear from these data

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
      She wasn't in it.

One's view about Himmler's hair (having not considered this for some time) is that it displayed his nicely Aryan skull shape, so he was, in effect, showing off. Weird lads those Nazi's. Did you know they dropped bombs on my ship off Crete?
      From Wikipedia: "Strict membership requirements ensured that all members were of Hitler's Aryan Herrenvolk ("Aryan master race")… Few dared mention that by his own standards, Himmler did not meet his own ideals."

Comment

Sausage roll for lunch, giving me further valuable practice in eating only with one side of my mouth

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Ah yes; when he said that line, I was wondering if it was a cliché or if perhaps it originally came from this film. Google ngrams to the rescue: https://books.google.com/ngrams/grap...IGHWAY%3B%2Cc0

So it seems like it wasn't an original line but also wasn't so clichéd then, and the film itself didn't do much to popularise the phrase upon its release. Whether the rise in usage seen during the 1990s came about due to the film gaining some kind of cult following on VHS (according to IMDb) isn't clear from these data
          Well I do recall we were using it - along no doubt with all the other classics from the time such as

I'll be back

and uplink your asshole

and lots more I cannot remember

Comment

I've spent long enough dithering over whether to go shopping that it's getting a bit late to go, so that's that bullet dodged

Might go this evening, but I'll probably leave it until tomorrow.

Comment

Just been informed that the server racks in the new building are supplied from sockets that require plugs like this one:

https://shop.livesystems.co.uk/ceeno...ip44-661-p.asp

I just can't decide if that's an "Oh Dear(tm)" or not.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                Just been informed that the server racks in the new building are supplied from sockets that require plugs like this one:

https://shop.livesystems.co.uk/ceeno...ip44-661-p.asp

I just can't decide if that's an "Oh Dear(tm)" or not.
                it'll be ok if you keep your fingers out of them
                Last edited by BR14; 2 August 2018, 14:15.

Comment

That's sparky type work, nothing to do with me, I'm from Barcelona.

I'm not really supposed to put 13A BS1363 plugs onto stuff.

I suspect that all that will happen is that a 6 way plug block will get connected to an industrial plug & that'll get plugged into the socket.

It's getting too late in the day for anything else.

But I suspect it really is an "Oh Dear(tm)".

Comment

Popped up to the optician place to drop my sunglasses off so he could put the new lenses in and I could collect them all tomorrow. Turned out he was back from his hospital appointment, so I was able to get my new normal specs, then waited ten minutes while he fitted the new reading glasses lenses in the old frames. So I'm now almost fully upgraded: the sunglasses lenses need to soak in the tinting material for some time, but he reckons they might be done by tomorrow afternoon

No major change to the prescription so there wasn't that sudden clarity on leaving the shop, but reading feels a little more comfortable, so far as I can judge from posting this

Comment

I bought some proper reading glasses that bring both eyes to focus at the same distance.

Needless to say, I don't use them.

Time to offbugger down the hill.

Tea:

Well, the first helping of last Sunday's lentil <pfffft> soup has been consumed.

It was little short of disgusting.

Ho hum.

Some black pepper, along with some toast, plus some sweet chili just about made it sort of edible.

The freezer is half full of this tulip.

The custard with added stewed blackberries was much more pleasant.

Mug of tea next, in an attempt to remove the taste of the soup.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 2 August 2018, 17:23.

Comment

Working...
                      X