• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

During dinner, I watched a bit of the BBC documentary on Vietnam, as I've finished the ambulance series and I'm also up to date on the Welsh police.

Moving on to the evening's main feature, I chose Babycall, in which Noomi Rapace is a victim of domestic abuse who buys a baby monitor because she's worried about her young son sleeping in a separate bedroom in the apartment block in which they've been rehoused. This is in Norwegian, which makes a change from the Swedish and Danish that characterises much of my viewing of late, but it certainly doesn't disappoint in the unutterable bleakness department. Everything goes wrong for everyone right from the start, bad things happen to good people in worse ways than you expected, and there's nothing even remotely resembling a happy ending. Top stuff

To follow on from this Nordic delight I tried Endorphine, a Québécois film about a thirteen-year-old girl who witnesses the murder of her mother, and is further shown at ages 25 and 60 in scenes relating to it, with flashbacks and flashforwards and all that stuff. The scenario of the mother being murdered is treated not as the opportunity for a thriller or horror flick like any sensible culture would, but as the preamble to a philosophical discourse on the nature of time, memory, and reality, with the storyline being all jumbled up in an attempt to seem clever.

This was the most ridiculous mishmash of pseudo-philosophical garbage it's been my privilege to witness in a long time, and if Jacques Derrida thought he'd managed to sully the good name of French philosophy beyond redemption, all I can say is budge up Jackie, there's a new poseur in town. After the damn thing had ground to a halt I went back and read the two or three sentence summary on iTunes, and I actually learned more about what I'd just seen from that than I had from watching it. Frankly, I've had more coherent and well-developed insights into the nature of time and related metaphysical concepts while staring blankly out of the window on a long train journey, and you probably have too.

No stars, would not recommend

Current temperature: 38.2°C in the ear nearest the fire, 38.0°C in the other. The other seems to be consistently slightly lower, though. Anyway, still just under actual fever pitch

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all I didn’t sleep too bad, but The Wife (tm) fell carrying The Dog (tw) down the stairs the other day and I think she may have done in a knee ligament. She’s in a lot of pain this morning.
      Only 5 more months until The Dog is allowed to go up or down stairs, but The Wife has an appointment with her private GP that will probably get her into hospital in a couple of days.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Head hurts....
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Head hurts....
          You must be doing it wrong.

(Or: tell her/him not to bite)

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            It's been so bad and dragging on for so long that I'm beginning to wonder if it could be man flu

My temperature is hovering just on the cusp between the top end of "normal" and the bottom end of "fever" but for all I know that could be normal-for-me

Is it worth popping over to Sainsbury's Local for a bottle of Scotch and a lemon, I wonder?
            You KNOW it makes sense.
            it doesn't cure anything, just makes it easier to endure

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey out, and still a bit breezy

Throat very painful on waking; temperature still hovering on the verge of fever

I ought to learn how to use the memory function on this thermometer, as I keep forgetting what the last reading was so it's hard to be sure if it's going up or down or just staying the same

Comment

Clear blue skies here, pulled the tomato plants out of the greenhouse and weeded the soil, then dug the shot radishes and last courgette plant.

Comment

Bacon cob. Oh yes

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    You KNOW it makes sense.
                    it doesn't cure anything, just makes it easier to endure
                    in case you missed it

Comment

More laundry. Not sure I'll have enough to justify another trip to the clothes bank tomorrow, but I should be able to by Friday

No, wait, I'm in London for a conference on Friday. So maybe next weekend.

Comment

Working...
                      X