• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Super Monkey Car's battery had finally shown as being charged after nearly three days (though possibly the charger had just got bored and wanted a rest). I just took it out and refitted it, as befits a Bank Holiday Monday. The central locking is now wonderfully perky, though that's as far as my initial testing has gone

Sure enough, despite being behind a locked gate, the phenomenon of somebody working on an old car brought forth the bloke who comments on its age, observes what you're doing, asks a few questions about it, nods, then wanders away

It was a chap from a few doors up who'd come out to put something in his bin, so at least they're not climbing the gate to get a look yet

Comment

Comment

Back on the chain gang tomorrow. At least I only have 13 working days before I contract again.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Back on the chain gang tomorrow. At least I only have 13 working days before I contract again.
          Come into the light

Comment

Back to the higher tedium tomorrow.

It's higher because the esteemed customers are getting very close to the exams.

Which means it's even quieter than usual.

I've just had two Morrisons steak and kidney pies with a helping of baked beans.

Living the dream, living the dream.

Which reminds me to get some fish out of the freezer for tea tomorrow. BBE 2014 still.

That bullet effects thing is unpleasant.

Odd that.

Not at all like in the films.

Comment

The Super Monkey Car has received some much-needed attention. First I washed it, which involved three trips with the bucket - rinse accumulated cruft off, then wash it with the car shampoo, then rinse and polish. Sadly, the poor thing's paintwork is in such a state that polishing doesn't do much any more

Then I got its tyres all pumped up to regulation level. I checked the radiator fluid, and brake fluid, and oil: they all seemed OK. And when I was at Sainsbury's the other day I filled the petrol can, and I tipped all that in, as although it had half a tank it has been known to be over-optimistic in that regard; also, the petrol might be a bit stale.

Finally, time to try to start it. It took a bit of effort to get it to fire but finally it did… partially. It seems like a cylinder or two aren't pulling their weight, so now I need to work out what the problem might be.

But the pumping up of tyres, followed by the strenuous efforts necessary to get it to fire, then get it to fire again as it conked out the first couple of times, have drained the battery enough that it now can't seem to provide the necessary oomph

So I'll have to get that out and charge it again. Ah well, hopefully it'll all be sorted out before Friday when it's supposed to go for its MOT

Comment

Poor old Super Monkey Car.

How are the mighty fallen.

This evening's "entertainment", such as it was, consisted of "Fast & Furious 7", which was purchased solely because of the presence of one Jason Statham.

I suspect I'm a tad older than the target market.

It was endurable, though the fact that I started reading the Argos leaflet at one stage probably means it wasn't exactly gripping.

Comment

Dinner has been fish fingers, chips, and beans. This was primarily because I'd left it so late to start sorting the car out, which then left me without much time for making anything once I'd realised it was dinner time. But it was dead nice, so that's OK

After a moment of panic, I remembered that I had in fact washed shirts suitable for ClientCo wear this afternoon, ready for tomorrow

And I've ground enough coffee for the next three mornings, because that's one of those things that feels like an intolerable burden of a morning. I also then end up blaming it if I'm late setting off, despite the fact that it can't take more than thirty seconds to sort out. So it's better if I just do it on Monday night

I've cocked up over sorting out anything for lunch though, due to not having cooked anything that created suitable leftovers. Looks like I'll have to make do with a bag of crisps and a Kit Kat, as that's about all I have to hand

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                    Poor old Super Monkey Car.

How are the mighty fallen.
                    Not fallen yet! I have a new distributor cap on the way just in case it's that, and there are a few other things to try that it was too late to attempt this evening; and the battery is on charge. I have high hopes of getting it running properly to get to its MOT, and once things have been done to get it through that (which will inevitably be required), it's getting a full service

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      Not fallen yet! I have a new distributor cap on the way just in case it's that, and there are a few other things to try that it was too late to attempt this evening; and the battery is on charge. I have high hopes of getting it running properly to get to its MOT, and once things have been done to get it through that (which will inevitably be required), it's getting a full service
                      WD40 is the friend of all Ford motor chariots. 1791

Spray liberally over the distributor cap.

Sometimes it needs it inside the cap too.

The Lizard 1997 Corolla has ignition problems of some kind, but it doesn't have a distributor cap or, indeed, a distributor.

It's got 2 coils instead.
                      Last edited by zeitghost; 1 May 2017, 22:02.

Comment

Working...
                      X