• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went live today. Funniest ever. Now TFBSZ.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Went live today. Funniest ever. Now TFBSZ.
      Enjoy you time off
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Home!

They've apparently started roadworks on the A14 between Kettering and the M1, which they were proudly advertising on the overhead signs as causing half-hour delays. I'd normally cut up the A6 under such circumstances, but that's closed because a bridge on the bit that forms the Rothwell and Desborough bypass (which was only built about twenty years ago) needs urgent repairs.

Google Maps took me off at the junction where the dead-slow-and-stop started, and I assumed it was going take me up to the A6 via Market Harborough. But it told me to turn the opposite way

As I was making decent time, I indulged it, thinking it might know something I didn't. It turned out to know quite a lot I wished it hadn't

It took me on a nightmare of a trip trip down unclassified roads in the middle of nowhere, through places like Naseby and others that didn't feature so prominently in any wars. Eventually it brought me to a four-digit A road, by which time I was pretty lost. And up there… the next junction of the A14!

So I rejoined, though it was still one lane at that point so a bit hairy joining the constant flow of traffic that had made it through the delay the slow way, and finally made it home roughly on schedule

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Google Maps took me off at the junction where the dead-slow-and-stop started, and I assumed it was going take me up to the A6 via Market Harborough. But it told me to turn the opposite way

As I was making decent time, I indulged it, thinking it might know something I didn't. It turned out to know quite a lot I wished it hadn't

It took me on a nightmare of a trip trip down unclassified roads in the middle of nowhere, through places like Naseby and others that didn't feature so prominently in any wars. Eventually it brought me to a four-digit A road, by which time I was pretty lost. And up there… the next junction of the A14!

So I rejoined, though it was still one lane at that point so a bit hairy joining the constant flow of traffic that had made it through the delay the slow way, and finally made it home roughly on schedule
          Wasn't there a queue of cars in front and/or behind you?

Normally when my TomTom takes me on a detour there is a queue of cars behind or infront going exactly the same route.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Wasn't there a queue of cars in front and/or behind you?

Normally when my TomTom takes me on a detour there is a queue of cars behind or infront going exactly the same route.
            There was one that caught up with me; obviously a local who knows the road well and was getting annoyed by me going comparatively slowly, due to things like the road being crap and not knowing what was coming up

They turned off halfway through some village. Then another one caught up

But no, most people seemed to be heading to Market Harborough. Next time it tries to take me off at that junction, I will too and it can learn how to get me home up the A6

Comment

This is the road it took me down, though of course I got to travel it in darkness: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.39...7i13312!8i6656

Even Google hasn't bothered going there in eight years

Comment

Mrs MarkyMark finishes with the "wrong kind" of Friday.

Best news this year
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Last of the chicken soup has been eaten. And there was some pâté that needed to be eaten before end of play tomorrow, so I had half of that on toast, with the rest being used for tomorrow's lunch

Comment

Morning all Anyone else noticing that the sun is rising a bit earlier every day now?

What made day 1 of go live so funny? Well, the ClientCo out here use a large 3rd party warehouse. These guys know warehousing. We had a 4 day cutover period from the old system, during which the warehouse was on lockdown and any emergency shipments were to be done on paper then entered into the system on the night before we went live.
                    Issue 1. The warehouse recorded these shipments in a spreadsheet but half way through Tuesday, someone changed a setting in it, so it recorded the wrong quantity. Customer asked for 1, spreadsheet says 2. That means when they entered the orders on the new system, the stock was out of balance.. Then we discovered that when the business entered the new orders, they didn't reference back to the spreadsheet, so when this error was found, there was no 100% link between the two.
                    Issue 2: The ClientCo's part of the warehouse was supposed to be on full lock down with no access to their systems. Except 1 user wasn't told this, and decided to do some transactions, somehow. When we did a final inventory check the new system showed the same numbers as we had been given on Friday night. The warehouse had a difference of 32,000 units.
                    My ClientCo's business in Japan is about 1/500th the size of the warehousing company's. Japanese culture is a wonderful thing. Turnover and company size don't come into it. The top guy in the ClientCo phones the top guy in the warehouse company and explains that this is causing him to lose face. That is about the most serious accusation you can make in Japan.
                    ...and so, the project went live at around 2pm instead of 9am, and the ClientCo is due to get compensation of over 10x the amount of turnover that was delayed.

And that was the hilarity.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The A14 between junctions 2 and 3 will be closed, or parts will, tonight for emergency resurfacing work, in both directions. The official announcement merely says it's in a poor condition. Wonder how come they only just noticed, and how they let it get so bad they decided they needed to close it at a moment's notice? There weren't any big accidents there today or anything

Comment

Working...
                      X