• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This afternoon I taught the team lead at ClientCo how to use a debugger properly - breakpoints, working out where to actually put the breakpoints, conditional breakpoints. I think he's now convinced that it's actually better than sprinkling print statements everywhere

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      This afternoon I taught the team lead at ClientCo how to use a debugger properly - breakpoints, working out where to actually put the breakpoints, conditional breakpoints. I think he's now convinced that it's actually better than sprinkling print statements everywhere
      :what:
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        :what:
        It's a thing.

Comment

It's a thing.
          I know how to use a debugger I'm just puzzled how someone can get to be a team leader without learning that skill.

FFS you can watch YouTube videos on EVERYTHING technical and if it's not on YouTube it's on Stack Exchange.

Comment

One of my favourite hacks last year was the creation of a debug entity/ table which allowed me to insert "got here" statements to allow me to debug code when the 3rd party supplier was being utterly arsey and I had a stupidly tight deadline..

There is definitely a time and place for "got here" debug method but only when you have zero control over the environment....
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              I know how to use a debugger I'm just puzzled how someone can get to be a team leader without learning that skill.

FFS you can watch YouTube videos on EVERYTHING technical and if it's not on YouTube it's on Stack Exchange.
              It's a slightly weird situation: the team are actually operations and support folk, who for whatever reason were given this development project. I think somebody had heard the term "devops" and wasn't quite clear on the concept; but they were interested in getting into development anyway, so they did. But they haven't had much guidance; to some extent, that's one of the things I'm there for.

So there are various things that you'd think any developer would know that they haven't really come across, and a number of weird practices that I keep railing against, such as sharing one database among us rather than us each running our own - they're finally giving way on that one though.

I still haven't convinced him that the idea behind the Django ORM is that you define the model classes and let the system generate the database schema from them, rather than his approach of defining the schema and then beating the model classes into a shape that kind-of-fits. Still, I managed to correct his belief that foreign keys were probably more trouble than they're worth, so there's still hope

Comment

I should add, however, that they're actually turning out some very impressive work by any standards, even if some of the approaches used at the start, and some still lingering, were a bit weird

Comment

Chicken and chips for tea

Wonder if the chip shop's re-opened yet?

Comment

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning!

Comment

Working...
                      X