• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MBP bit the dust last night...stuck in a new SSD and rebuilt it but it's vanilla Timemachine backups are not showing up (says they are corrupted??)

Anyone know how I can get the data off of the failed drive? (something to do with the partition maps being incorrect and a persistent clicking sound)
    Join IPSE

Comment

Morning all WFH, TFIF, etc. My 8am conf call was cancelled at 5am. The overnight light rain has brought the temp down in the house but the humidity is up.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

No sign of overnight rain here, but it is a touch cooler and overcast-ish with hints of sunshine. Next door went on holiday at 2.30 this morning - it needed a minibus and lots of luggage jiggling and door opening and closing to get them sorted

First job, after this coffee, is to got and retrive the car which was dumped in the next village to beter facilitate wine consumption last night.

Then, I need to work out what kind of creature it is that's stripping the stems of my chilli plants. The fruit is just starting to form and i'm almost certain they'll not ripen now It's a variety called 'ring of fire', so whatever is doing it obviously can't read the label. Or can, but hates Johnny Cash, I suppose.

Comment

here this morning.

Comment

Morning all

Vaguely grey going on Simpsonesque out there this morning.

Comment

Good run into ClientCo today. The weather here in the East is exceptionally murky

But my order for a bacon and sausage baguette is in, the lurgy is improving, and I'm out of here at 16:30

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
                MBP bit the dust last night...stuck in a new SSD and rebuilt it but it's vanilla Timemachine backups are not showing up (says they are corrupted??)

Anyone know how I can get the data off of the failed drive? (something to do with the partition maps being incorrect and a persistent clicking sound)

Disk Utility? Otherwise there are some low level disk recovery programs, but I'd have to look them up when I get home.

You might be able to do something with the dd command, but you'll want a proper Unix geek to explain that one. That might let you get a bit-by-bit image of the failing drive before it finally stops completely, so you have something to work with.

Also, check out using Disk Utility or anything else for fixing "corrupted" Time Machine backups. Copy the backup to another drive first and work on that: it's a simple Disk Inage file, so it's no different to copying any other file, just a lot bigger.

Comment

Haven't stopped coughing since I got out of bed.

Now know the true meaning of "phlegmatic".

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                    Morning all

Vaguely grey going on Simpsonesque out there this morning.
                    The Simpsonesque bit has departed & the grey has got considerably darker.

Comment

Cloud starting to burn off here. Looks like the temp is going to go up up up.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X