• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ommm...
    Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
      I thought you have more than one car?
      Yes, but it still leaves the logistical problem of dropping the car off an hour after I leave

Googling in more detail, it seems that the most common cause in this model at this age is a dirty mass airflow sensor, or other things to do with sensors; it can even be caused by a loose petrol cap. There's some more dodgy stuff that can cause it, such as a failing fuel pump or ignition coil, but things like that would also have manifested themselves in poor running. So as it seems to be running OK, I've probably got time to sort things out at my own pace

Also, by disconnecting the battery for ten seconds, the light should reset. So for now, I'll do that and see if it comes back.

By all accounts it isn't usually a major problem to keep running it even with the light on, within reason.

Comment

Seems it's potentially a bad idea to disconnect the battery as it can reset the security system on the radio

But you can just pull out the ECM fuse for a few seconds

Not sure if I can be bothered. The light will probably go off of its own accord after a while, it seems, and leaving it on isn't doing any harm. I'll see about getting the car to the vet's instead

Comment

Ommm...
          ZenChuryOm(tm)

Comment

Just returned from a pleasant evening in Cardiff with ZeitSis and ZeitNephew.

And it only cost me £100.

Bargain.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Seems it's potentially a bad idea to disconnect the battery as it can reset the security system on the radio

But you can just pull out the ECM fuse for a few seconds

Not sure if I can be bothered. The light will probably go off of its own accord after a while, it seems, and leaving it on isn't doing any harm. I'll see about getting the car to the vet's instead
              I believe the standard solution is to remove the little bulb.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Or stick a bit of black tape over it...
                Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  Or stick a bit of black tape over it...
                  So I understand. As somebody said on an American motorists' forum, "With a bit of luck the bulb will burn out before I do"

Comment

Dinner was the remain of the other day's steak & ale casserole, with rice. I'm not sure it really goes with rice, but that was as much effort as I could be bothered to put in, and even then I left a fair bit of it. My appetite doesn't cope well with hot weather

Comment

It's almost sproing time

Comment

Working...
                      X