• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back at the hotel, where the toilet has been unblocked

One advantage of staying down here is that, if I make it to ClientCo early enough that I can leave at 16:30, the A14 isn't too bad and I can make it back here by 16:50

But tomorrow I check out, as I'm driving home to vote.

TBH I don't like staying away all week. The last three years of working within reach of home have softened me; I need to toughen up and get used to staying away again, contractor stylee

Comment

I can't use either the hotel wifi or my wifi dongle thingy to SSH into my Amazon instances, which is making it difficult to work out what's not working in my OpsWorks recipes - I want to be able to run them, then look around the machine and see what's happened.

But I've just remembered that I've got all the virtualisation stuff I need still sitting on this machine from back when I was using it at ExClientCorp, including VM images that a guy from Chef provided to me

So I'm going to muck about trying to remember enough to be able to test this stuff and get it working on a local VM, so I can suss out where I'm screwing up

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Back at the hotel, where the toilet has been unblocked

One advantage of staying down here is that, if I make it to ClientCo early enough that I can leave at 16:30, the A14 isn't too bad and I can make it back here by 16:50

But tomorrow I check out, as I'm driving home to vote.

TBH I don't like staying away all week. The last three years of working within reach of home have softened me; I need to toughen up and get used to staying away again, contractor stylee
        Staying away rapidly loses its shine IMO.

I think staying on the services on the M27 in Sotton is what dun it for me, like.

2 things on the menu that I could stomach & no beer coz it's a motorway services.

No wonder I didn't bother extending.

Not to mention the walls being thin enough to listen to the chap next door snoring all night.

Comment

Tea consisted of the last bits of Sunday's lamb with boiled carrots & onions, sprouts, broccoli, and peas, with mashed spuds (one a Welsh white, the other a King Edward).

It was followed by 4 Morrisons plumbs gently stewed until soft (they get furry before getting soft in my experience) with lashings of custard.

And I'm on my 2nd mug of tea at the moment.

Living the dream, living the dream.

Comment

Off to the pub for dinner

It's gone very Simpsonsesque out there now

Comment

My face blindness just got the better of me

Bloke in the pub comes over: "Hello Nick, fancy seeing you" etc. Vaguely recognised him and assumed he was somebody I knew from previous sojourns in Cambridge. So I gave him the spiel about how I was staying down here while working at a place in Saint Ives.

He's the permie who sits at the desk opposite me

Comment

My face blindness just got the better of me

Bloke in the pub comes over: "Hello Nick, fancy seeing you" etc. Vaguely recognised him and assumed he was somebody I knew from previous sojourns in Cambridge. So I gave him the spiel about how I was staying down here while working at a place in Saint Ives.

He's the permie who sits at the desk opposite me
                I thought I was bad with faces....
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  I thought I was bad with faces....
                  He's out of context!

Comment

He's out of context!
                    WNFS.

If people would only stay where they're supposed to it would all be fine.

I've done much the same thing several times, once with an old neighbour who'd moved away, and then with the licensee of a pub who I met in Waterstones & was convinced she was the canteen manager at somewhere I worked.

It also happens with ex Esteemed Customers, or rather the unmemorable ones.

Whose names I can never remember anyway.

Night all

Just cooked the first batch of raspberries so the kitchen will be humming of them tomorrow morning.

I may put some on my cornflakes.

I even remembered to put some sugar in this time. They're a bit tart without it.
                    Last edited by zeitghost; 22 June 2016, 22:06.

Comment

Walking north back to the hotel, the clouds had cleared, revealing that the sky isn't truly dark on the horizon up ahead. Not quite the Land of the Midnight Sun, but for East Anglia, I'll take it

Better get to bed so I can make it to ClientCo in time to be able to leave at their earliest convenience; for tomorrow, I head home to vote!

Goodnight all
                      Last edited by NickFitz; 22 June 2016, 23:20.

Comment

Working...
                      X