• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afternoon

Spent the afternoon doing a IKM assessment test for a reasonably local company. Just got the results in an I did ok. They are going to speak to the dev manager and think about bring me in for a chat.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
      It's not that long ago that people used to keep pigs locally.

And they used to get slaughtered extremely locally.

As in hanging up by the back feet on a construction of iron pipes in my back garden.

The keeping of pigs was made illegal some time in the 1960s IIRC.
      James Herriot talks about that in one of his books - maybe his first. Families would all slaughter their pigs around the same time of year, and everything would be made use of, right down to brawn from the brains and black pudding from the blood; and during those weeks, even house calls to family pets would end with him being slipped a pound of sausages or some such as a gesture of thanks

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
        Afternoon

Spent the afternoon doing a IKM assessment test for a reasonably local company. Just got the results in an I did ok. They are going to speak to the dev manager and think about bring me in for a chat.
        Sounds promising

Comment

They've finally got the contract together, and much to my surprise it's a six-monther, taking me through to one week before Christmas

I was sure it was three months. Shows how much attention I pay to these things

EDIT: Hmm, just noticed they've got the start date wrong - 16 June instead of May. An agent who would probably prefer to be in the pub is now checking things
          Last edited by NickFitz; 13 May 2016, 17:07.

Comment

Well that's the lawn mowing put off for tomorrow.

It's raining.

The Herriot tale I remember best is where he's given some extremely fat bacon or belly pork to eat & while he managed to get it down, he threw it back up on the way home.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              <flounce>
              Gonna take a short break from CUK. to you all, 'specially zeity.

I'll be back.
              </flounce>

Evening all. How's tricks?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                They've finally got the contract together, and much to my surprise it's a six-monther, taking me through to one week before Christmas

I was sure it was three months. Shows how much attention I pay to these things

EDIT: Hmm, just noticed they've got the start date wrong - 16 June instead of May. An agent who would probably prefer to be in the pub is now checking things

Comment

Anyway, amidst all the contract shenanigans this afternoon, I've also finally managed to get the heavy stuff down to the tip. Two TVs (a 1980s 28-inch and 1990s portable), the LaserWriter Pro 600 (1993), and the huge 21" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 91TXM CRT monitor.

I don't know how much the tellies weighed, but I got them downstairs on the stair-climbing sack truck without too many problems, though it was physically utterly knackering.

After they were gone, I got the monitor down. According to the manufacturer's specs it weighed 35kg, or 77lb, though other sources put it at 81.57lb; whichever is right, it bloody well felt like it.

After that, the 39lb printer didn't feel too bad

So that lot's all gone, and I can finally do the re-arranging of the living room that has been on hold for yonks because nothing much could be done until they were out of the way

I always feel quite sad getting rid of stuff though, which is why I have so much crap. The big telly was the one on which I saw the second plane hitting the WTC just after they cut live to NY on 9-11, and the small telly sat to my side for the rest of the day as I went online using the big monitor, trying to find any additional sources of info, and eventually getting a view of a street being wiped out by the collapse of the south tower through the New York traffic cameras (which were the only webcams still working and online by that time) as I also watched the collapse on the telly.

So they all served me well during that day; but now they're gone to the great recycling facility in the sky, or rather, near the old livestock market

Comment

</flounce>

Welcome home

Comment

</flounce>

'Ello again
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X