• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Parkrun is free. It will almost certainly be cancelled if they have to pay - for one thing it will set a precedent and sure as eggs is eggs all the other councils will do the same. The council can bump up parking fees at the park if they want to "charge" users. I overheard a whisper about a similar thing at my local one, but didn't get any detail.

It would be very short sighted - parkrun is truly a community thing - our runners come from age 5 - 82, running 16 minutes to nearly an hour, all shapes and sizes, pushchairs, dogs, and we have a number of disabled runners too. An army of regular unpaid volunteers supports, marshalls, times and scans tokens. Way to kill something good, Bristol.

Edit - maybe the conversation I overheard was talking about Bristol.
    Local councils are now responsible for public health in their area. So it's bloody short sighted charging for Parkrun. Instead they should ask and see if they can put Parkrun on their leaflets for getting people more active.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Local councils are now responsible for public health in their area. So it's bloody short sighted charging for Parkrun. Instead they should ask and see if they can put Parkrun on their leaflets for getting people more active.
      That would be the district council. It seems to be the parish council who manages the park
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        That would be the district council. It seems to be the parish council who manages the park
        I live in London.

I know SFA about district and parish councils.

All I know is which parks and commons are managed by councils, and which ones are managed by an agency of the UK government as they are Royal Parks.

Also there are other cities that don't have these distinctions e.g. Birmingham. You have one council that runs everything.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Dull meeting time. But at least it is handover to NA shift.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            +1

And they lock the parks early - so kids have more tendancy to be at home and get fat....

Comment

Byeeeee

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                I would still test it in the car.
                Wise advice - Zeity speaks sooth

Without attempting to charge it any further from the 12.3V it was reading today, I carted it out to the car. I had some minor inconvenience because the terminal adapters off Amazon (Halfords still haven't come through with their Ford-specific ones) had bolts too thick for the thingies on the end of the car's leads. So I got the bolts out of the old adapters to see if they'd do.

Wiring things up caused a flurry of kerclunking from the central locking, which attempted to lock itself, realised a door was open, and therefore decided to unlock itself instead; that's normal behaviour. The clock also started working.

At this point I checked over the engine, and realised that the coolant was strangely low; tipping about a pint of water in fixed that. The oil also seemed a bit low, so I topped that up.

Then, after moving the Toyota away a bit because of a paranoid fear that the Orion might suddenly catch fire due to neglect, I tried to start it up. The starter cranked away and, after a few seconds, the engine fired up!

I stopped it after a minute or so as I needed to come back up to the flat to get the tools to bolt the battery back in properly. Also, I wanted to see if the battery would start it a second time, or if it had spent its vital force. But next time it started up straight away and ran smoothly. After five minutes or so I had to stop it again, because there's a bolt in the battery fixings that can only be reached with the cables disconnected; but after that was done, it started up for a third time without any problems, and ran smoothly for another fifteen minutes or so.

I decided not to take it out for a run as I'm not sure if it has a coolant leak. But at least it goes, and the short trip up to the garage for its MOT on Thursday should be adequate to, quite literally, blow the cobwebs away

Comment

good show

Comment

Still some light in the western sky

Comment

This evening's Fruits of the Freezer™ offering was bolognese; only a few weeks old, not antediluvian like yesterday's fowl. Though the shape of the pasta I had with it was a kind of weird double-chambered shell that looked a bit like something that might have arisen during the Cambrian Explosion and gone extinct before the dinosaurs happened along. Anyway, all very nice

Comment

Working...
                      X