• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by covbob View Post
    Do what my Asian housemates used to do and stick a screwdriver or a fork in there.
    More a case of there not apparently being a place for the earth pin beyond there being space for it in a groove around the edge

Comment

It's now raining

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        More a case of there not apparently being a place for the earth pin beyond there being space for it in a groove around the edge
        Our cousins across the pond in SepticLand have a rather relaxed attitude to earthing grounding stuff.

Even stooping to cutting the ground pin off if it prevents you putting the plug into a non grounded socket.

Comment

Some poor sod just tried to sell me a subscription to the south wales evening post.

Unfortunately even the offer of getting it half price didn't close the deal.

<ZG in "I remember the pain in the arse it was the last time we did that">

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
            Some poor sod just tried to sell me a subscription to the south wales evening post.

Unfortunately even the offer of getting it half price didn't close the deal.

<ZG in "I remember the pain in the arse it was the last time we did that">
            The local paper got me that way around 1990. But I lived in a flat and the neighbours kept on nicking it when it came through the front door

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
              Our cousins across the pond in SepticLand have a rather relaxed attitude to earthing grounding stuff.

Even stooping to cutting the ground pin off if it prevents you putting the plug into a non grounded socket.
              I'll be interested to see if it makes any contact at all once it arrives.

Though back in the days when you had to put your own plugs on things, I remember finding that many appliances didn't have a green-and-yellow wire in the flex anyway

Comment

I'll be interested to see if it makes any contact at all once it arrives.

Though back in the days when you had to put your own plugs on things, I remember finding that many appliances didn't have a green-and-yellow wire in the flex anyway
                Black, red and green, wasn't it?

I was chatting to an old friend from my first job the other day - I was reminiscing that I'd got the job because I knew what a Venn diagram was. He'd got it on the basis of knowing how to wire a plug.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  Black, red and green, wasn't it?

I was chatting to an old friend from my first job the other day - I was reminiscing that I'd got the job because I knew what a Venn diagram was. He'd got it on the basis of knowing how to wire a plug.
                  Blue, brown, green-and-yellow has been the standard for many decades - those are the even older colours

The green-and-yellow spiral on the earth lead is there so that colourblind people can tell which it is

Comment

I've been sucked into this Ask Reddit thread: What is one thing you'd like to ask people from the UK?

I didn't realise we're the only country in the world whose national energy distribution system had to be designed to cope with the TV pickup effect caused by millions of kettles being boiled simultaneously at the end of popular TV programmes

Comment

I've been sucked into this Ask Reddit thread: What is one thing you'd like to ask people from the UK?
                      There's an American woman who's visiting England soon, and is worried that if she needs to ask a stranger for directions she'll just be told to **** off because she's an American tourist

Comment

Working...
                      X