• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Chicken soup?

Or are you recovered?

Had lentil <pfffft!> soup for lunch and I had spag bol for tea.

Both were very nice.
    I fancied tomato, but I never got around to it in the end

The cold is now defeated I think. Still a bit snotty, but that'll clear up soon with luck

Comment

I was planning to spend tonight recovering from the excesses of the CUK revels, but a friend fancies going for a pint, so now I have to walk a mile in the rain to the pub instead. It's a hard life

Comment

There's been a murder across town, it seems. It's in the vicinity of the area where all the rich people live. I used to walk down that road quite frequently in the 1980s; I remember being amused that there was somebody along there who had a Rolls Royce, but had to park it on the road because they didn't have a garage and it was too big for their drive

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          I was planning to spend tonight recovering from the excesses of the CUK revels, but a friend fancies going for a pint, so now I have to walk a mile in the rain to the pub instead. It's a hard life
          Me too
          Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
            Me too
            Just hope there isn't someone there that's going to spill your drink over your nuts!
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Just hope there isn't someone there that's going to spill your drink over your nuts!
              They'll get clamped if they do
              Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                There's been a murder across town, it seems. It's in the vicinity of the area where all the rich people live. I used to walk down that road quite frequently in the 1980s; I remember being amused that there was somebody along there who had a Rolls Royce, but had to park it on the road because they didn't have a garage and it was too big for their drive
                At a guess - Stoneygate way?

Comment

Originally posted by covbob View Post
                  At a guess - Stoneygate way?
                  Yep. Holmfield Avenue, to be precise. I had some friends who lived in a flat on Stoneygate Road while I lived around Spinney Hill Park, so that was part of the direct route to their house.

Over the years, I've lived on three of the four sides of Spinney Hill Park. It's a predominantly Muslim area. I've seen how the Muslim community has gone from (c.1983) wearing suits and ties because they felt a duty to fit in as newish arrivals to this country, to wearing more traditional attire (c.1999) because they had been here for quite a while and wearing suits obviously wasn't working to reduce the racism, so why not wear what you damn well please.

Overall, I've felt more of a sense of community when living in Muslim enclaves like that than I've ever felt living in predominantly white British areas; including Stoneygate, where I lived a few doors down from the Bishop of Leicester for a while in the mid 1980s.

The Muslim areas are actually great places to be the token white bloke or couple on the street, because everybody treats you so nicely - not because you're the token white person, but because Muslims are really nice people and very considerate of their neighbours, even of those that are infidels

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    I saw it in Leeds a couple of years back, I loved it!!
                    Yes, it was very good. Enjoyed it a lot.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X