• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Such as the oik with his feet on the seat on the train this morning.

If I'd had an S&W Model 629 handy he'd have had an extra hole in his head.
    And an extra person for dinner?

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Grey and rainy out

I had to pop round to the GP's for my monthly prescription, which I meant to pick up yesterday but forgot all about, just as I had the day before that. In an inversion of the normal course of events, the rain stopped just before I went out, and resumed after I'd got back. Only a couple of minutes respite, but it worked for me

Comment

The surgery closes at lunchtime on Thursday. Apparently this is a long-standing thing among GP surgeries; Thursday afternoon was traditionally the day on which the staff spent the afternoon sorting out files and suchlike clerical work.

Of course the files are all electronic now, so as far as I'm aware they all just go home - I've certainly never seen any signs of activity in there on Thursday afternoon. There was a call a few years ago for them to abandon this outdated practice in the name of "providing a better service to patients", but it seems to have been completely ignored.

I don't blame them myself. Nothing wrong with taking an afternoon off during the week. I think all places should do it.

Remember when every town had its "early closing day", usually either Thursday or Wednesday, when all the shops would close at lunchtime? If you looked in a gazetteer like the AA Guide it would list the day for every town and city. In fact, when we moved from Liverpool to Bedford, I remember it being mentioned by my parents that Bedford had the same early closing day (Thursday).

But by then, in the early Seventies, it was already starting to die out, and it's now just a memory to remind us of a time when our society seemed to recognise that there's more to quality of life than access to retail outlets

Comment

Sunny Swansea as it once was:

Much like the Dark Side of The Moon.

Without the music.
          Shows where he took the shots from:

Comment

Shows where he took the shots from:

Scrubs up quite well given fifty years or so of tidying, doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Scrubs up quite well given fifty years or so of tidying, doesn't it?
              Yes.

It's difficult to remember how truly fecking awful it was.

It may be imagination, but I'm sure I can remember looking, back in the early 70s, from the Wichtree roundabout towards Llansamlet, and seeing in the distance a great yellow heap of what I assume was sulphur.

I think the IMI place was still running back then.

Everything was black.

Apart from the yellow pile of sulphur of course.

That was very yellow.

There's some nice lakes.

From which it's inadvisable to take the fish.

Coz of the arsenic.

The sheep grazing down there used to be unfit for human consumption for much the same reason.

Comment

to pass your time...
                http://www.gchq.gov.uk/press_and_med...zzle-2015.aspx
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  I saw that on the BBC web site.

Where is sasguru when you need him?

Comment

Contemplating knocking off for the day.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Need to remember to send xmas cards this week. Over here the cloggies don't do xmas in the conventional sense as theirs is over and done with on the 5th.
                      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X