• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Afternoon

How's it going up your way? Any rain yet?
    Its threatening to rain, the wind has started to get stronger and little drops of rain are starting to fall on the office window.

Can't say I'm looking forward to walking to dog this evening.

Comment

Wet, dark & nasty here now.

And that's just me.

Byeeeee

Comment

Finally assembled the bookcase I bought five or more years ago, which since then has been getting moved around the flat in pieces as and when it's been found to be in the way.

I bought it from Homebase on impulse, then found that, as packed, it wouldn't fit into the Orion. So I had to unpack it in the car park, squeeze the various bits in where they'd fit, and bring it home that way

Now it's finally assembled, and in position in a bit of space that wasn't any use for anything else. And I've even transferred all my DVDs and Blu-rays to it.

Or rather, I thought I had.

I'd got all the ones that were in a small bookcase, and also the ones that were in five or six stacks around the place, and gathered up a few strays, and I figured that was it. But then I realised some were missing; for example, only seasons one and five of The Shield were there, and I've got them all

And then I remembered the large box, stacked away in a corner of the bedroom under assorted other junk, that's completely full of DVDs

I'm going to need a bigger bookcase

Comment

I'm going to need a bigger bookcase
          OJMQ

We're Goin to need a Bigger Bookcase - bigger boat | Meme Generator
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Virgin broadband is back on

I think it's been on for a while, but their service status page was still showing yellow and the word "issues". You have to click on a link-that-isn't-actually-a-link to get it to expand that bit of the page and show you what the issues actually are; and as you have to reload the page to see if anything's changed since you last looked, and it doesn't remember the state of the toggle, the whole thing is exactly the kind of complete usability cluster**** one would expect from a "modern" web design

And of course the deeper problem is the mealy-mouthed use of the word "issue" to mean "fault" or "failure", rather than "issue". This abuse of language allows expected downtime due to routine maintenance to be conflated with loss of service due to technical failure. The consequence is that, looking at the service status page, it was impossible to tell that the minor issue of the former had been resolved some time ago, and the continuing presence of the warning about "issues" related to an ongoing fault with their email service, which I couldn't care less about

Comment

Virgin broadband is back on

I think it's been on for a while, but their service status page was still showing yellow and the word "issues". You have to click on a link-that-isn't-actually-a-link to get it to expand that bit of the page and show you what the issues actually are; and as you have to reload the page to see if anything's changed since you last looked, and it doesn't remember the state of the toggle, the whole thing is exactly the kind of complete usability cluster**** one would expect from a "modern" web design

And of course the deeper problem is the mealy-mouthed use of the word "issue" to mean "fault" or "failure", rather than "issue". This abuse of language allows expected downtime due to routine maintenance to be conflated with loss of service due to technical failure. The consequence is that, looking at the service status page, it was impossible to tell that the minor issue of the former had been resolved some time ago, and the continuing presence of the warning about "issues" related to an ongoing fault with their email service, which I couldn't care less about
              Get yourself a beer Nick, you've earned it today

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                Get yourself a beer Nick, you've earned it today
                I've just assembled the desk instead

It was the last bit of furniture that needed to be put together so I thought I'd get it done, even though it'll now be rather in the way as I shift books over to the bookcase

I'm knackered and my back is not very happy with me (just muscular grumbling though, not spinal trouble). So I'm having a rest before getting the dinner on.

And once the dinner is on, I'll see about finally unboxing the new iMac

And once that is done and I've had a play with it, I think I will indeed have a beer or two

Comment

Posting from the iMac

Still haven't put dinner on

Comment

It's a good bit faster at ripping video from an already-ripped DVD disk image to Apple TV format, as you might expect.

Crucial have now started selling the memory upgrade for it, but only in the States at the moment. Once they start shipping it over here, I'll bump it up to 32GB. Not sure if it'll make any difference to video encoding, though, as it's currently using less than half of its 8GB anyway

Comment

Join IPSE

Comment

Working...
                      X