• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The afternoon is flying - I'm writing test plans for the upcoming release

Comment

I'm sat here listening to the moderately moronic comments of the esteemed customers as they attempt to work on an assignment they've just been given.

It's funny how empty vessels make the most noise.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
        Have you finished putting the bookshelves together?
        Just assembled one

It was the narrow (40cm) one; the primary thing I've learned is that I need to move some more stuff out of the way to do the 80cm ones

Never having assembled an Ikea product before, I'm now left wondering why the supposed immense difficulty of doing so is such a standard trope, even featuring twice with two different characters in The Wire. I reckon it would have gone a bit quicker if I had more space, and had done one before, and didn't try experimenting with deviations from the instructions at a couple of points out of idle curiosity; but putting the bits together, and understanding what the diagrams were telling me, was ridiculously straightforward.

Maybe some people just aren't very good at relating two-dimensional drawings to three-dimensional things. Poor spatial awareness or some such, probably caused by not having had enough Lego, Meccano, and Airfix kits when they were young

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
          The afternoon is flying - I'm writing test plans for the upcoming release
          "Make sure it works properly." There, job done - now you can take the rest of the day off

Comment

Wide-bodied bookcase assembled. Next: assemble height extension unit, so I can measure and drill the hole for the wall fastening

Once that's done, I can get that one and the narrow one in place, after which I can get another wide-bodied one done to finish the corner angle. Then there's only one left, but that can't be done until I've shelved some books which are in the way of another thing that has to be moved to make room… this is why it all takes so long

Comment

Enough of bookcases for one day. Next: breaking down large cardboard boxes and stuffing them in the recycling bin

Comment

And I still need to get a desk, otherwise this extremely expensive desktop computer is going to seem like a bit of a waste of money

Comment

Spag bol for dinner: wholewheat spag, and bol from the freezer

Feeling pleasantly worn out, probably due to spending much of the afternoon and evening wrestling with planks

Comment

Well there we are then.

That was £85 down the swanee.

The central heating with added radweld is now completely depressurised and there's an overwhelming pong of wet earth coming from under the floor in the front room office.

How the feck I'm going to be able to move it all I really don't know.

Maybe knock a doorway into next door.

Despite the theory of the plumber that the wet patch on the wall has nothing to do with the leak, I suspect it's got a fecking great deal to do with the leak.

Not to mention that the other side of the wall is bone dry, whereas this side has been exposed to something that's stripped the paint off the skirting board.

Whoever installed the central heating decided that he'd drill two angled holes down into the cavity under the front room floor rather than doing the obvious & drilling vertically down through the hall floor (which, to be fair, is parquet covered with carpet).

This is going to run and run, I suspect, since it'll take me at least a week to dismantle enough to raise floorboards.

Deep & abiding joy.

Not.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      Enough of bookcases for one day. Next: breaking down large cardboard boxes and stuffing them in the recycling bin
                      That's the easy bit.

Find a Stanley knife.

<ZG in "cutting up cardboard boxes is fun" mode>

Comment

Working...
                      X