• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    The other approach is to cut the spuds into disks about 3-5mm thick; if the spud is very large, it may be cut in half first. The aim is to have the biggest ones be about an inch to an inch-and-a-half at their widest diameter.
    Chips of that ilk earlier this evening, fresh from the fryer:

This spud had to be cut into thirds before slicing, it was so thick

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      It's the cats ninjaing in without you noticing that you need to worry about.
      I don't - no cats

Comment

I don't - no cats
        You only think you have no cat because you haven't spotted the ninja cat yet.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
          Good point

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
            Are they like "ninja programmers"? JavaScript for Cats

Comment

Join IPSE

Comment

Comment

I don't - no cats
                  Here's an internet kitten for you - live feed (he sleeps a lot...)

Cassidy + Topper, Feral Rescues on Livestream

And a cute video of his first wheelbarrow assisted steps.

Comment

Morning

Comment

My method is as follows, for what it's worth:
                      1. Cut the spuds up into chips. (I peel them first, but some prefer not to.)
                      2. Stick them in a saucepan with a tablespoon of distilled malt vinegar and enough cold water to cover them. The vinegar isn't there to impart flavour, and doesn't: it greatly reduces the breakdown of the potato when boiled, due to some chemical process.
                      3. Bring to the boil. Keep simmering for at least five minutes, no more than ten. (I usually go for seven or eight.)
                      4. Strain in a colander, and rinse with hot water.
                      5. Leave to stand for an hour or more, to cool down and dry. Stirring occasionally while they're still warm will help them dry more.
                      6. Heat the oil to 160°C.
                      7. Put the chips in the basket and fry for two or three minutes, until they're just starting to change colour. Lift them out and leave to drain.
                      8. At this point, they can be bagged and frozen, if you want to make loads of batches and save doing all the previous steps every time. Either way, they benefit from being left for at least fifteen minutes.
                      9. Heat the oil to 190°C, and whack them in. They'll bubble furiously, and the bubbling will gradually subside as they turn golden and crispy. Give them two to four minutes. If you like them really crispy, give them an extra minute when you think they're done (though don't let them burn, of course).
                      10. Add condiments to taste, and eat!

It's a bit of a faff, but the results are sublime
                      This works!

I thought they'd be vinegary but they weren't. I put them in the fridge for an hour to cool and dry after 8 mins of simmering. 3 mins at 160. 4 at 190. Perfection. Served with Lomo Saltado as per the CUK cookbook (minus the rice as I cooked too many chips).

Cheers NF.

Comment

Working...
                      X