• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Another day that's just a long planning meeting tomorrow

These things really bring it home to me how out of place I am in this scene. I'm a web developer: front end, back end, databases, web servers, all of them, some of them, whatever. But this is an IT infrastructure gig: it's all about systems configuration and stuff, which I'm not really interested in as a field. And as so much of it is to do with ClientCorp's specific IT infrastructure, I'm not even that interested in learning about most of it, because it's just third-party solutions like Infoblox (DNS), Tufin (no idea), SolarWinds (no idea), and such.

I just get by with the attitude that input comes in, output goes out, and I write the bit in the middle that transforms the former into the latter. If that process of transformation has side effects like causing servers to be configured or DNS records to be created, great; but, as Sam Ruby has it in the strap line to intertwingly.net: "It's just data".

And on that note, goodnight
    That reminds me (on an unrelated note) of a Self Preening architect I worked with a few gigs back. My job was to transform the data in the legacy systems so it fitted in SAP. Then integrate the legacy apps with SAP by some rest(less) web services.

The problem was that the data in the legacy systems was garbage. I kept on telling him it needed a cleanup, and that they had the benefit of time and foresight on their side. Of course I was ignored, and in his mid atlantic accent (previously worked in New York I think for 6 months - so hence the accent shift) would say "It's just dayda".

Never endless stream of cretins on every gig that think like this. If you lost your systems, but not your data your business could still function. If it was the other way around it's game over. Data is the lifeblood of your business, and some competitor is out there with better data than you exploiting that to it's full advantage.

In spite of the fact that we live in an age with the most sophisticated processors and programming languages available we still pay very little attention to data quality.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Byeeeee

I may be some time.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        You could just allow a pile of sweaty jumpers to accumulate under your desk.
        you would never know you had kids!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          That reminds me (on an unrelated note) of a Self Preening architect I worked with a few gigs back. My job was to transform the data in the legacy systems so it fitted in SAP. Then integrate the legacy apps with SAP by some rest(less) web services.

The problem was that the data in the legacy systems was garbage. I kept on telling him it needed a cleanup, and that they had the benefit of time and foresight on their side. Of course I was ignored, and in his mid atlantic accent (previously worked in New York I think for 6 months - so hence the accent shift) would say "It's just dayda".

Never endless stream of cretins on every gig that think like this. If you lost your systems, but not your data your business could still function. If it was the other way around it's game over. Data is the lifeblood of your business, and some competitor is out there with better data than you exploiting that to it's full advantage.

In spite of the fact that we live in an age with the most sophisticated processors and programming languages available we still pay very little attention to data quality.
          I feel for you getting an address line 1 & postcode for a customer seems equivalent to climbing Everest.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
            Managed to leave in work the hospital letter I need this morning.

So guess where I have to go first.

Ho fecking hum.
            Ho fecking hum indeed.

Wrong day.

appointment is for tomorrow.

Haven't done that for years.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              I feel for you getting an address line 1 & postcode for a customer seems equivalent to climbing Everest.
              100 million SAP implementation, full of garbage "dayda", then an article in Gurning SAP Handwringers monthly stating what a vast improvement it had made to the day to day running of the business. Except that the poor sods using the system didn't have a clue on how to due to poor training, then found SAP so inflexible that couldn't do their jobs and had to revert to spreadsheets.

There should be a law against posting such utter lies, as future businesses actually lap this tulip up and make the decision to implement SAP.

But hey it's just dayda.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                Morning

Winter coat was swapped for lightweight north face jacket.

Beautiful morning in brum
                Soft southern shandy drinker!
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

An hour into the change and we are already 20 mins behind schedule, this bodes well
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

UK Press Gazette have a story about my BBC FoI request

Daily Mail emerges as BBC's newspaper of choice as corporation cuts down on Guardian | Press Gazette

Comment

And now the editor of UKPG is following me on Twitter

Don't suppose he'll stay long

Comment

Working...
                      X