• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you weren't around, or at least old enough to have to fend for yourself, at the time that Halifax ad came out, you probably won"t understand why it grated so much.

It epitomised everything we despised about Thatcher's Britain. Given that they can, and could, compartmentalise ad broadcast by ITV region, I've never understood why they chose to broadcast it in regions like Central, as it was then

But maybe it was just the likes of us - students, graduates unemployed or on lowish incomes, Grauniad readers - who were enraged by it. Maybe the people who worked in hosiery and knitwear factories, and lived on the same estate their parents had been housed on in the 1960s, and saved up for holidays in Marbella, found it aspirational

The hosiery and knitwear factories are gone now. The estates are still crap, but with bad porches and conservatories tacked on to the houses piecemeal because of Right to Buy. The people seem to get by. The high level of crime committed by people from those estates is probably a statistical anomaly.

I think the one thing that annoyed me most about that ad was that the amount he took out of the cash machine, on a Sunday morning, because he needed to buy a pint of milk and the Sunday paper, was equivalent to about two months' dole. I wasn't on the dole myself at that time; but there's such a thing as rubbing people's nose in it.

Anyway. It's annoyed me for nearly thirty years, so it's unlikely to stop annoying me now. Enough about it.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

And Match of the Day has just started.
      And as if bed were some timefreeze mechanism, Match of the Day has just started again.
      Last edited by mudskipper; 22 February 2015, 08:16.

Comment

Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          If you weren't around, or at least old enough to have to fend for yourself, at the time that Halifax ad came out, you probably won"t understand why it grated so much.

It epitomised everything we despised about Thatcher's Britain. Given that they can, and could, compartmentalise ad broadcast by ITV region, I've never understood why they chose to broadcast it in regions like Central, as it was then

But maybe it was just the likes of us - students, graduates unemployed or on lowish incomes, Grauniad readers - who were enraged by it. Maybe the people who worked in hosiery and knitwear factories, and lived on the same estate their parents had been housed on in the 1960s, and saved up for holidays in Marbella, found it aspirational

The hosiery and knitwear factories are gone now. The estates are still crap, but with bad porches and conservatories tacked on to the houses piecemeal because of Right to Buy. The people seem to get by. The high level of crime committed by people from those estates is probably a statistical anomaly.

I think the one thing that annoyed me most about that ad was that the amount he took out of the cash machine, on a Sunday morning, because he needed to buy a pint of milk and the Sunday paper, was equivalent to about two months' dole. I wasn't on the dole myself at that time; but there's such a thing as rubbing people's nose in it.

Anyway. It's annoyed me for nearly thirty years, so it's unlikely to stop annoying me now. Enough about it.
          I was wondering what your issue was. It looked quite a nice advert to me, and certainly better than that Howard cretin, or the little oriental looking guy*. I hadn't considered the social backdrop

The last time I was working in Halifax they had stills from loads of adverts made up onto canvas frames to decorate the corridors. Going all they way back to the 1890's (or whatever). Some were quite interesting, if I can find my favourite I will post it.

* - Thomas Yau. I had to google it. He was little too, legend has it that he had to have a couple of bespoke staff uniforms run up for those adverts. I used to have his autograph somewhere from when I worked there. It was acquired by one of the team who thought it would be amusing to get everyone a dedicated photo.

Comment

Morning all.

Here we iz again.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              And as if bed were some timefreeze mechanism, Match of the Day has just started again.
              That's ever so scary.

Is that Jimmy Hill chap still doing it?

I'm sure he was the last time I caught 12.275 seconds of the prog by mistake some years ago.

Comment

I like the Flake advert with the lizard on the telephone & the Lambert & Butler add with the swimmers in the pool.

Comment

Can't find the cigarette ad.

Can find lots of silk cut ads.

Especially the "Rorke's Drift" one.

Comment

The one I couldn't decide whether I liked or hated was the one with Bright Eyes "First Day of my Life"

I love Bright Eyes (depressing tulipe is addictive) - so was pleased to hear the song on telly - but it's for a bank FFS.

(Can't find the ad - googling turns up the wrong one)

Comment

Morning all
                      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X