• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    You could try pitching it as a respite visit to start with. A couple of weeks to recover after being in hospital. Most places will do a short trial like that. Might give her the chance to get used to the idea. Of course it could also convince her she's never going near one again. Not easy.
    That's exactly what we did with my grandad - he was in hospital quite ill and social services said that he couldn't go home on his own any more. The home manager came and visited and said "we'd like you to come and stay with us for a little bit, just until you get the strength back in your legs".

Two years later, he said to us "I know I'm never going home again, but at least I know I'm looked after here" which was a major breakthrough, and he was there until he died two years ago. He'd been in the home for 9 1/2 years at that stage.

Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

And morning all by the way.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Oh, Morning all.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Broached the 'home' idea with mother yesterday - it did not go down well...
          Funny that.

ZeitMater's journey to the home involved some deviousness, it must be said.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Manly

Not a lot you can say really. In some ways it's harder with them being there together as they remind each other that they are not at home. GMIL has long since forgotten where she is. She doesn't really understand that she is even in a care home. She was telling us at the weekend that she thinks she should move into one as she's fed up with being where she is.

In the early days we emphasised the safety aspect. GMIL had had a few falls, including some pretty bad ones, and had no-one close to look out for her when it happened. In the home there is always someone around and even though she has had the occasional tumble since, including one needing a hospital trip, she had the careers there immediately and didn't end up stuck in a hospital bed or in A&E cos there would be no-one to look after her when she was sent home.
            Perzactly why ZeitMater is where she is.

Both she & ZeitPater have managed to fall over in the nursing home.

Several times.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              That's who I know I'm still classed at the Midlands here as I keep getting asked "do you mean a cob?"
              Zen.

Chury.

Om.

Did we ever find out who the Evil Deleter was?

Just asking, like.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                He'd been in the home for 9 1/2 years at that stage.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Comment

I was going to head in early and grab some lunch somewhere, but its wet and miserable and I seriously CBA as well as not be able to find anywhere near the offices that aren't a tourist hell hole.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
                    He was pretty happy there, although towards the end I would find visiting was more and more depressing each time. We used to send my dad in first to see how he was, before deciding whether to take the children in because I want them to remember him from a better day.

He was 99 1/4 when he died, very peacefully in his sleep, with my dad sat next to him.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Waiting for a quote from this builder to fix the leak.

Also got a whacking huge end of year bill from the gas and leccy peeps, not to mention them upping the monthly payments and there's the "council" tax bill to look forward to as well which you have to fecking pay in one lump sum.

Needless to say muggins here will have to stump up for all of this
                      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X