• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suspect I was quite happy with my <pfffffft> lentil <pffffft> soup <pfffft>, being a lizard of pretty low class all in all.

Can't understand why a wine would have sulphur in it if it's one of those untouched by antifreeze type wines.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      As a non foodie imposter, I did enjoy it very much, and most of the food was both excellent and beautifully presented.

But some of it did feel a bit like The Emperor's New Clothes. The wines served were natural wines - low tech, made without interference. One wine in particular smelled a lot of eggy farts (I believe the technical term is sulphur). In a cheap restaurant, I would have refused it. If I'd opened it at home, I'd have poured it down the sink. But because it's being served in a top restaurant, I have to believe that's how it's supposed to smell. It tasted OK, but only if you didn't breathe in whilst drinking. I've always enjoyed wine using my nose.

Personally I think I preferred the first restaurant, although it was lovely to do the whole experience of the champagne, 9 course menu and wine pairing, dessert wine and schnapps.

But both restaurants were really great, the staff knowledgeable and enthusiastic.

I suppose if you were only going to do one of them, it would have to be the second for the whole experience, but if I was going back it would be the first that I'd prefer to revisit. Which doesn't sound like it makes much sense.
      Having been to these places before I would agree that BROR which was the first was by far my favourite, there were elements of the second ( Amass) which were nice, but these guys are ex-Noma and trying to get where Noma is, having gone there a second time you can see that this is what they are aiming for. The first place, there's no pretenions, they're focusing solely on the food and are really enthusiastic and down to earth about it.

The last time I went Amass, had by far the better meal and it was more relaxed.

As for Natural wines, I'm not a big fan either, it is difficult trying to ascertain if the wine is good, they have a certain scent to them and it will throw you off. Some were great and others, were, well, meh!

I will definitely go back again, but to try out more restaurants, its rare for me to try the same places twice, especially when you're shelling out the big bucks.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
        I suspect I was quite happy with my <pfffffft> lentil <pffffft> soup <pfffft>, being a lizard of pretty low class all in all.
        Ah, perhaps it was you and not the wine...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          I would have done the same. Don't mind being charged for things but that is taking the mickey
          I have done the same in the past as well.

I also have taken service charge off the bill especially when it's optional and told them I'll decide what tip to leave.

Often places will stick a service charge on and the waiting staff get to see none of it.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

It's worrying that I can relate to the "moving through life" article in the Monday links...
            Join IPSE

Comment

Less than 10 minutes to go
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

So would people fancy doing a grub club tour again?

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Less than 10 minutes to go
                  I predict a site crash
                  Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
                    I predict a site crash
                    Me too. If Google couldn't survive a crash for the N10...
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
                      I predict a site crash
                      This web page has a redirect loop

Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X