• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Writing unit tests for stuff

I haven't done this much before, or at least not for a few years, but I can definitely see the benefits. Going to try to do TDD for the rest of this little project, if only so I can talk about it at interviews

I've lost count of the number of times clients have talked enthusiastically about unit and functional testing in interviews, but always as something they really want to do "going forward". Once you're in there, particularly when it comes to front end stuff, nobody ever has time to work out how to get it into the project

Comment

My approach to retro-fitting these tests to the stuff I wrote yesterday:
      1. Read some documentation for the unit test package, only to find all the examples seem irrelevant to what I'm doing;

2. Read a few pages of a book on the subject, becoming deeply confused by irrelevancies while managing to get a vague idea of what to do, though not how to do it;

3. Google a few phrases, failing to find anything that seems even slightly relevant;

4. Having wasted about two hours on the above, just start writing some damn code, ending up with a useful set of tests in approximately twenty minutes.

When will I ever learn to just go to the last step right at the start

Comment

Watching the thing about Stonehenge.

they're doing stuff about trepanning now.

Fainting muchly.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          In which case you need it just to get past the numpty agent guardian.
          Still don't think you need it for what you do however.

What is it that you do. It seemed to be to chat (up the cleaner) and make coffee from memory....
          Not just the cleaner
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I'm off to bed. Busy and productive day. Very tired.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
              Watching the thing about Stonehenge.

they're doing stuff about trepanning now.

Fainting muchly.
              Ooh, hadn't spotted that - cheers

*scuttles off to download from iPlayer*

Comment

Managed to add a trivial new feature in the zealot-approved TDD manner.

That's quite enough of that for one day, I think

Think I'll crack open a bottle of ale and watch some gubbins

Comment

Join IPSE

Comment

I should be in the pool by now. Having trouble getting going today.

Comment

Going to be one of those days.

Client co laptop installing update 1 of 44831 updates
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X