• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Now that Mr N has a company motor, am wondering if we should take a jaunt into the cloggy countryside somewhere.

Just have to work out where.....
    The countryside in NL is much of a muchness with the exception of Limburg which looks rather like some parts of Britain or Ireland with rolling hills, little streams and six fingered inbred yokels. Otherwise the coasts and the cities are the best places to visit.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Impressive.

I was knackered after a few miles on Tuesday evening, am pretty out of shape fitness wise.
      +1

Last Saturday I did 114 miles cycling in 9 hours. On Sunday I only managed 4 hours of exercise. I really must do better.

Comment

Now that Mr N has a company motor, am wondering if we should take a jaunt into the cloggy countryside somewhere.

Just have to work out where.....
        The Delta Works are worth a trip if you like massive tidal barriers and loads of wind turbines.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          The countryside in NL is much of a muchness with the exception of Limburg which looks rather like some parts of Britain or Ireland with rolling hills, little streams and six fingered inbred yokels. Otherwise the coasts and the cities are the best places to visit.
          Will probably do Limburg another time, want to make a weekend of it and visit a vineyard.

Could go east on good Friday and annoy some religious people
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Ride home in a lower gear than normal this evening, spin a bit faster than usual, then rest tomorrow and ride Saturday. Spinning faster is good for recovery so you should be able to ride again a little earlier. Very important; get some protein and carbs in yourself as soon as you get home. Glass of milk and some bread is ideal, within half an hour of arriving. Spinning your legs fast makes the smallest blood vessels open up, that helps get rid of waste products and then when you get your milk and carbs your body replenishes glycogen stores quickly.

Don't ride tomorrow unless it's very very gentle; your knees need a rest. Also, if you hit a peak in fitness, it's good to think of a rest week. Generally I do 3 weeks of hard training, hit a peak in the third week, then take an easy week as I've learned from bitter experience that I get manflu otherwise. It used to be 5 or 6 weeks hard then a week of easy training when I was in my 20s/30s, but now I'm in my 40s and actually feel that little more rest is making me fitter than ever.
            Thanks for the advice! Will do this.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            In one day? Thats impressive if you are working as well.....
            40 miles yesterday, 40 miles today. Don't think I could have done another 40 tbh tomorrow but will be taking MTT's advice.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
              Morning!

Another cycle in - 3 mins off the time but feeling it now - arse, legs, knees knackered. Still, 80 miles by this evening but my stamina is nowhere near it was before. I think I'd never make 5 days in a row like I used to.

Still, TFI a long Easter weekend!
              Arse and legs will just be down to fitness and getting used to riding again. If your knees are hurting then either the bike isn't set up right for you (saddle too low) or you are trying to push too big a gear, especially on the hills. Change down a gear earlier than than you think you need to and spin faster rather than trying to tough it out grinding up in a bigger gear. Net result is the same but puts less stress on your knees.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                +1

Last Saturday I did 114 miles cycling in 9 hours. On Sunday I only managed 4 hours of exercise. I really must do better.
                Did 73 miles last Sunday, mainly cos I plotted the route thinking I'd set the route map to Km. I hadn't.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  Arse and legs will just be down to fitness and getting used to riding again. If your knees are hurting then either the bike isn't set up right for you (saddle too low) or you are trying to push too big a gear, especially on the hills. Change down a gear earlier than than you think you need to and spin faster rather than trying to tough it out grinding up in a bigger gear. Net result is the same but puts less stress on your knees.
                  Definitely this - the bike setup is fine. I shall try lower gears in future. Thanks DaveB!
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                    Definitely this - the bike setup is fine. I shall try lower gears in future. Thanks DaveB!
                    Try pedalling between 85 to 95 rpm; it feels very fast at first but it's much more efficient than pushing hard on the pedals and once you get used to it you'll go a lot faster. Might be good to use the downhill bits to spin even faster without using a higher gear as it helps with the nervous system adaption.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                      you are trying to push too big a gear, especially on the hills. Change down a gear earlier than than you think you need to and spin faster rather than trying to tough it out grinding up in a bigger gear. Net result is the same but puts less stress on your knees.
                      Top tip! I will try this! Cheers.

Why can't one give rep in LR?

Comment

Working...
                      X