• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I noticed that, when driving across the city nowadays, I track my route by mentally ticking off good pubs that are no longer there.
    Discovered only last week that The Dulais Rock had shut.

I used to drink there quite often.

And the last time I drove through Alltwen I noticed that the pub up the hill from The Butchers had shut.

It was the pub we didn't drink at, going to the Butchers Arms instead.

Comment

Just bought a 4TB NAS drive from Maplin.

Now I need to drive down there to collect it. Do you think they'll object if I show up in dressing gown and slippers?
      Which one did you get?
      Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
        Which one did you get?
        It's the recent model WD My Book Live. I got a 2TB one a year or so ago, and it's worked since then, which is all I really want from these things. (Well, it stopped working when I accidentally knocked it off a shelf, but only because the power lead came out as it fell to the floor. It worked again just fine once I picked it up and plugged it back in.)

The new one is white plastic instead of black, but other than that I think it's the same, except that the drive is now 4TB.

The dodgy 2TB drive is a loose one in a USB thing, one where half the drive pokes out the top. Disk Utility found some irreparable corruption, though all the files I want to copy seem to be OK. I suspect I accidentally wobbled it while it was being written to recently; those holders aren't really meant as a permanent housing, which is how I've been using it. I'll reformat it and stick it in a proper box at some point if it verifies OK.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
          Discovered only last week that The Dulais Rock had shut.

I used to drink there quite often.
          It may not be shut, but it definitely looked as if it was last week.

When I said "quite often" I was referring to 20 years ago.

Comment

Bored.

Now.

So off to watch a programme about the Black Death.

Ideal Sunday night viewing.

Comment

It's the recent model WD My Book Live. I got a 2TB one a year or so ago, and it's worked since then, which is all I really want from these things. (Well, it stopped working when I accidentally knocked it off a shelf, but only because the power lead came out as it fell to the floor. It worked again just fine once I picked it up and plugged it back in.)

The new one is white plastic instead of black, but other than that I think it's the same, except that the drive is now 4TB.

The dodgy 2TB drive is a loose one in a USB thing, one where half the drive pokes out the top. Disk Utility found some irreparable corruption, though all the files I want to copy seem to be OK. I suspect I accidentally wobbled it while it was being written to recently; those holders aren't really meant as a permanent housing, which is how I've been using it. I'll reformat it and stick it in a proper box at some point if it verifies OK.
              Nice...

I had a 2TB seagate one which blew up on me (literally, burst into a small flame and melted a bit ), so went for a Qnap 4 bay device...thought i'd future proof myself and add some more features...
              Join IPSE

Comment

Bored.

Now.

So off to watch a programme about the Black Death.

Ideal Sunday night viewing.
                Followed by the Ken Follett thing about the Black Death on More4.

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
                  Nice...

I had a 2TB seagate one which blew up on me (literally, burst into a small flame and melted a bit ), so went for a Qnap 4 bay device...thought i'd future proof myself and add some more features...
                  At some point I'm planning to get one of those multi-disk ones that get recommended over in Technical from time to time - Synology, IIRC. But I keep just grabbing one when I need it, and each year they get bigger. By the time I've got the proper one bought and set up it'll probably be in the petabyte range

I found an article a while back about these WD ones: apparently they run Linux, and it's very easy to SSH in, set yourself up as root, and install things like FTP servers on there

Comment

Followed by the Ken Follett thing about the Black Death on More4.
                    I've just finished getting Monday Links sorted out, so I'm now going to have a Badger Brewery Poacher's Choice while watching an episode of Inspector Morse from 1988

Comment

At some point I'm planning to get one of those multi-disk ones that get recommended over in Technical from time to time - Synology, IIRC. But I keep just grabbing one when I need it, and each year they get bigger. By the time I've got the proper one bought and set up it'll probably be in the petabyte range

I found an article a while back about these WD ones: apparently they run Linux, and it's very easy to SSH in, set yourself up as root, and install things like FTP servers on there
                      yea synology and qnap are very similar...I know a few people with a qnap so went with that and so far its done everything that ive wanted from it...
                      Join IPSE

Comment

Working...
                      X