• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both types of armour are potentially dangerous for friendly infantry operating in close support.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Paradoxically, a tank is usually in its safest state when the commander is in a personally unsafe position, riding in the open, head out of the turret. In this rather high position (often called 'unbuttoned'), with no personal protection save maybe a helmet and a flak jacket, the commander can see around the vehicle with no restrictions, and has the greatest chance of spotting enemy antitank operations or natural and artificial obstacles which might immobilise or slow down the tank. Also, the tank itself is less visible as it can stay lower behind obstacles.

Comment

What could I possibly say to him?
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Using periscopes and other viewing devices gives a commander much inferior field of vision and sense of the countryside. Thus, when a tank advances in hostile territory with hatches closed, the commander and the crew might be personally safer, but the tank as a whole is more at risk given the extremely reduced vision. In order to overcome this problem improvements in onboard optical systems are ongoing.

Comment

I opened my mouth, ready to speak.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

main battle tank is designed to be highly mobile and able to tackle most types of terrain. Its tracks disperse the heavy weight of the vehicle over a large area, resulting in a specific ground pressure that might be lower than a man's foot

Comment

The man was clearly worried that we were going to abandon him and not go to the right terminal for his flight.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  Tank chassis were adapted to a wide range of military jobs...
                  what about all the funky uk tanks designed and used during d day (the ones the americans poo poo'd but wished they'd used)
                  Last edited by DS23; 16 November 2007, 23:09. Reason: [/

Comment

he types of terrain that do pose a problem are usually extremely soft ground such as swamps, or rocky terrain scattered with large boulders. In "normal" terrain, a tank can be expected to travel at about 30 to 50 km/h. The road speed may be up to 70 km/h.

Comment

"It's OK," I began.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X