• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here are at least three possible explanations of the origin of the name "tank". One is it first arose in British factories making the hulls of the first battle tanks: workmen and possible spies were to be given the impression they were constructing tracked water containers or tanks for the British Army, hence keeping the production of a fighting vehicle secret.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

A taxi would work!
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        And then, like a thunderbolt, it struck me.
        Ride on a poor person's back?

Comment

And then, like a thunderbolt, it struck me.
          Pray tell, the suspense is killing me
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Another is the term was first used in a secret report on the new motorized weapon presented to Winston Churchill, then First Lord of the Admiralty, by British Army Lt.-Col. Ernest Swinton. From this report, three possible terms emerged: "cistern", "motor-war car", and "tank"

Comment

I rushed round to the taxi rank.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Apparently "tank" was chosen due to its linguistic simplicity.[2] But perhaps the most compelling story comes from Winston Churchill's authoritative biography. [3] To disguise the device, drawings were marked "water carriers for Russia." When it was pointed out that this might be shortened to "WCs for Russia," the drawings were changed to "water tanks for Russia." Eventually the weapon was just called a tank.

Comment

Alas!
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I rushed round to the taxi rank.
                    Won't find many poor people there

Comment

A tracked fighting vehicle was proposed in 1912 by Australian engineer L. E. de Mole. It was one of the earliest practical designs offered to the British War Office. He was notified in June 1913 that his idea had been rejected, though only some of his drawings were returned. He resisted urging from friends to sell the design to the German consul in Perth

Comment

Working...
                      X