• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    :d

Ferret - while you are at it can you prevent this software thingy from converting upper case to lower case? Ta

The famous :D --> :d 'feature'.

There is a workaround...

Right. I'm off to bed. The alarm is set for 7 a.m. and since the vet put me on these hypertensile tablets (or whatever they are called) I've needed at least 7½ hours every night.

Say "Hello" to NickFitz for me when he gets here in a few hours.

You should be able to get the kilopost on your own.

Drivel about your pets / neighbours / car / gig / childhood for a while and it'll be all yours.

Good night.

:wave:
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I can't do it on my own but
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

That's 76 posts
        +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

On my own
          +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Nah. Not even horsey drivel is going to cover that.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Oops, manners. Evening NickFitz
              Hi Zip

Too late though - I'd gone out

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                I also purchased the box set of BTVS yesterday.

Now I'll never have to watch it again.

I waited for ages for Hobson's Choice to become available on DVD. When it finally did, it was as part of a David Lean box set, but all the other stuff was brilliant too, so I bought it.

That was something like two years ago. The shrinkwrap is still intact

As I think I've said before, at least it's there for the day when I suddenly feel that I really, really want to watch it

Comment

Love Bab 5. Got the complete set (with extra movies). The Shadows were the best baddies ever.
                  Me too

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    I must make a note of this.
                    My original TPD spider was written in PHP, but that was not an ideal environment for that specific application - I would have liked better XSLT support than was available in the version I was using.

My current design for TPDSpider 2.0 is probably going to be implemented in Java, using TagSoup to parse the "We only said it was XHTML to fool you" markup into an XML document. This will run as a cron job on an Amazon EC2 server, and use Amazon SQS to notify other components of the application of things like new posts; a number of background services will use these notifications to update stats and prepare query parameters ready for use with the Google Charts API.

The front end will draw on the currently-stable copy of this data to provide information in a variety of formats, ready for re-purposing; I was thinking of HTML (for the humans), Atom (for feeds), and JSON (for mashups) as the initial resource representation formats to be offered

I reckon checking by the minute should be OK to start with, which will lead to perhaps a two-minute latency for updating the more complex or obscure stats (smiley usage per denizen, and so forth).

The algorithm for detecting and accommodating multiple near-simultaneous post deletions (by blaggards) and insertions (by newbies) is, I think, reaching fruition. The really complicated bit is working out how to detect the occasion when a post is deleted, but a newbie post is simultaneously (or since the last crawl, which is the same thing in this context) inserted. On the face of such basic evidence as the latest TPD thread ID corresponding to a given CUK sitewide ID, nothing would seem to have changed; but of course everything would have changed.
                    Last edited by NickFitz; 28 September 2009, 01:22. Reason: ID clarification

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

1971?

I repeat,
                      Indeed - but it was so popular, I'm sure they kept running it into the Eighties

Comment

Working...
                      X