• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    It's knackered. HTH

So you're getting that with your new modem?
    Yup - the shiny new out-of-the-box modem that the Virgin engineer installed lasted approximately two hours. The previous one (same model as far as external appearances go) managed over five years

I find the following timeline rather suspicious:
    • 2 Sep: Virgin engineers are in the area upgrading the local cabinets (they put a card through the door warning that there would be an outage) - I was away at the time so only used the connection from 5 - 6 Sep;
    • 6 - 7 Sep: Modem, apparently, dies after five years;
    • 19 Sep: New modem installed; dies within 2 hours.

I've now got to wait for another engineer to come - next Saturday, of course, as I'm not here in the week

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
      Afternoon

Wotcha doing up there?

Visiting sister - its my niece's b'day.

Stopping over and loads of booze.

Just need to get key for wireless network and then I can put the berry down

Comment

Middlesbrough 0 - 2 West Brom
        Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Middlesbrough 0 - 3 West Brom

Comment

And that's just the first half

Comment

Aaaaaaaaargh! Jim Laaaaaad!

Not a good day so far.

Went to pick up cat to carry cat upstairs coz she's spoiled & finds climbing stairs a chore at 17.

Picked up cat with back straight & knees bent.

Like you're supposed.

Back (lumbar region) immediately goes into spasm.

Dropped cat. (Actually carefully placed cat on floor again).

Then attempted to get up.

Bit of a struggle, but got there in the end.

Now on ibuprofen & paracetamol.

Fecking magic.

Who designed these backs anyway?

I want a refund.

Not fit for purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Morning denizens

Broadband is back

To my surprise (and that of the repair man) it was the cable modem wot dun it - even though it was getting power, booting OK, and hunting for a connection, it was still broken

It lasted a bit over five years, which is probably considered a long life for consumer electronics these days
                And just think, they hadn't even taken all the lead out of the solder when that was made.

Comment

From the modem's log:

Code:
                  Time Not Established	Time Not Established	Information (7)	MAP w/initial maintenance region received
                  Time Not Established	Time Not Established	Critical (3)	No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
                  Time Not Established	Time Not Established	Information (7)	MAP w/initial maintenance region received
                  Time Not Established	Time Not Established	Critical (3)	No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
                  Time Not Established	Time Not Established	Information (7)	Downstream sync ok
                  Time Not Established	Time Not Established	Information (7)	Beginning initial ranging...
                  Time Not Established	Time Not Established	Information (7)	downstream time sync acquired...
                  Time Not Established	Time Not Established	Information (7)	Downstream sync ok
                  Time Not Established	Time Not Established	Information (7)	starting ds time sync acquisition...
                  Time Not Established	Time Not Established	Information (7)	Locked on the downstream. Waiting for UCDs...
                  Time Not Established	Time Not Established	Information (7)	Downstream lock ok
                  Time Not Established	Time Not Established	Critical (3)	SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q...
                  Time Not Established	Time Not Established	Critical (3)	SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC f...
                  Time Not Established	Time Not Established	Information (7)	Beginning initial ranging...
                  Time Not Established	Time Not Established	Critical (3)	Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re- initializing MAC
                  Wonder what that lot means?
                  Time to switch off & back on again?

Comment

Yup - the shiny new out-of-the-box modem that the Virgin engineer installed lasted approximately two hours. The previous one (same model as far as external appearances go) managed over five years

I find the following timeline rather suspicious:
                    • 2 Sep: Virgin engineers are in the area upgrading the local cabinets (they put a card through the door warning that there would be an outage) - I was away at the time so only used the connection from 5 - 6 Sep;
                    • 6 - 7 Sep: Modem, apparently, dies after five years;
                    • 19 Sep: New modem installed; dies within 2 hours.

I've now got to wait for another engineer to come - next Saturday, of course, as I'm not here in the week
                    It's that lead free solder wot does it.

Or mains on the incoming wire thingie.

I'm always slightly alarmed when I pass one of these NTL cabinets which invariably appear to have the cover held on by string or ty-wrap or some other bodge.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post

Aaaaaaaaargh! Jim Laaaaaad!

Avast Zeity!

Back (lumbar region) immediately goes into spasm.
                      Ouch (<- gentle & manly)

Now on ibuprofen & paracetamol.
                      You need beer - nature's painkiller.

Comment

Working...
                      X