• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are just being silly now, aren't you?

Nighty, night
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

On the fifth - that's right, 1-2-3-4-5 <- that one - attempt, the 3 thingy finally gave me a connection that could access CUK

It's hideously annoying. It makes a connection and you try to access some site at a particular domain - there are various ones of much greater public prominence than CUK - and it just stalls. As the browser sits there, hoping for a response (in HTTP terms) that fulfils the promise that was made (in TCP/IP terms) you can go to another tab and hit something like news.bbc.co.uk and it loads immediately; so the connection is working.

Meanwhile, the other place(s) are just stalled.

So you disconnect and reconnect, and eventually you end up with a connection that Just Works, for any domain you care to throw at it.

Then you leave the machine for a few minutes... making a cup of tea, having a shower, whatever.

When you return the connection is still, apparently active... but now you get nothing from anywhere

BBC News? Stalled. Slashdot? Stalled.

It seems that they timeout on their end, but don't actually drop the connection: they simply stop responding to any requests.

It's epic fail through and through, and 3 should be ashamed of themselves for charging people for this abysmal service.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        When you return the connection is still, apparently active... but now you get nothing from anywhere

BBC News? Stalled. Slashdot? Stalled.

It seems that they timeout on their end, but don't actually drop the connection: they simply stop responding to any requests.
        FFS

It did that as I was typing that post...

Comment

FFS

It did that as I was typing that post...
          I think you need to apply one of these to the Three dongle.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
            I think you need to apply one of these to the Three dongle.
            I'm waiting until Richard Branson is in range, as I wouldn't be having to use the 3 thingy if Virgin Cable hadn't failed again

And when I do at Branson, it will be my Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 91TXM 21" monitor... an excellent CRT, and a shame to lose it; but it weighs a ton and would almost be worth sacrificing if I knew it was going to land on Beardy's bonce

Comment

HOLY CRAP!

Remember the shenanigans round here last year, with the neighbours and their dope farm?

BBC linky

Anthony D****n: Flat 4. Craig D****n: nominally Flat 2, which was actually the farm.

(And the addresses given in the report aren't here, BTW...)

Looks like they were really annoyed at that guy... and explains why the Police were asking me about an Asian chap that I might have seen around the place.

Thank God they won't be back
              Last edited by NickFitz; 12 September 2009, 03:25. Reason: On second thoughts, I don't want them Googling their names and finding this...

Comment

HOLY CRAP!

Remember the shenanigans round here last year, with the neighbours and their dope farm?

BBC linky

(And the addresses given in the report aren't here, BTW...)

Looks like they were really annoyed at that guy... and explains why the Police were asking me about an Asian chap that I might have seen around the place.

Thank God they won't be back
                It sounds like you live in a lovely area.

You know how you were saying that you were not sure the area offered much for you any more? I would move if I were you.
                Last edited by Gonzo; 12 September 2009, 03:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                  It sounds like you live in a lovely area.

You know how you were saying that you were not sure the area offered much for you any more? I would move if I were you.
                  The area's OK really - the addresses given in the report are much more the kinds of places I wouldn't want to be... probably their parents' places

Could you edit your quote of my post? I've decided I don't want to include their full names, as Google is far too efficient these days

Comment

Could you edit your quote of my post? I've decided I don't want to include their full names, as Google is far too efficient these days
                    No problem.

It was fortunate that I had not returned to the TV room to watch the second half of the rugby match that I had started watching earlier, otherwise google would have had plenty of time.

As it was, North Harbour (the local team) did not play very well against Hawkes Bay during the first half.

It is proper rugby, not that Rugby League stuff that is on TV so much.

I don't know whether it is because I am a southerner, or whether it is because of how I was taught at school, but to me Rugby Union is the correct form of the game. Rugby league is an inferior version played by northern monkeys.

My relatives in this part of the world have promoted Rugby League to me heavily (there is one team in New Zealand that plays in the Australian National Rugby League) but I am afraid that it always looks an inferior game when I have watched it.

Comment

I've just realised from the Plod's version of events...

S***** D****** - Flat 1

So that means that of everybody living on these premises at the time, only myself and the chap upstairs (also an IT contractor, lovely chap, but sadly gone now) weren't involved in this foul crime

Comment

Working...
                      X