• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    I've found Zeity's next computer: The ZX Spectrum Laptop.

Although the Beeb doesn't require such upgrades...

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
      Inspired by a post from the other evening, I've just ordered a chinese.

I knew you'd all be thrilled.

To paraphrase BT's late-90s advertising campaign for www.isdn.bt.com: History is History with TPD
      Last edited by NickFitz; 8 September 2009, 23:29. Reason: Must disable parsing of that ancient BT linky...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        To paraphrase BT's late-90s advertising campaign for www.isdn.bt.com: History is History with TPD
        I seem to have a few minutes before the Shipping Forecast, so I'll explain that somewhat arcane post.

In late 1996 - early 1997 I created the online ordering system for BT's ISDN lines - BT had no online strategy at the time, so a forward-looking chap in Marketing had the bright idea of selling ISDN lines on the web and sub-contracted it to the company I'd just joined as a permy for this very project, and it proved to be very successful.

When, later in 1997, BT wanted the online ordering system updated, the company had relocated to Aberdeen, and I had declined the opportunity of going there with them, preferring redundancy. BT being keen for more, the company called me and offered to take me back on, working from home on their Internet projects. However, I had to fly up to Aberdeen for a few days to kick things off. They put me up in the cheapest B&B they could find, the nearest pub to which was located at this junction.

On the first night, as I stood waiting to cross the road back from the pub, I looked across at the billboard whose shadow you can see next to the end-of-terrace. It bore a BT poster: a map of the World, with "Geography is History with ISDN" written across it, and "www.isdn.bt.com" in the footer. And I thought to myself, if geography is history with ISDN, why the fsck did I have to fly to Aberdeen to stand in the freezing rain waiting to cross the road, just for the sake of updating some stuff on www.isdn.bt.com

Still, that was one of the very first advertising campaigns in the UK to include a URL: and it was the URL of a site I worked on, so that was cool
        Last edited by NickFitz; 9 September 2009, 00:07. Reason: FFS, even when you re-edit to disable the "Automatic link" thing it doesn't get rid of the ones it's already done

Comment

Good morning peeps....

It will shortly be 09:09 on 09/09/09. Happy thoughts.

Comment

Morning all...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
              Who was shot in the film "The Blue Lamp" by that nice Dirke Bogarte chappie before he became a Doctor... or died in Venice with Charlotte Rampling or something...

Then came back to life as a TV copper later in the 50s...
              It lasted all the way through to 1976 or so... by which time Jack Warner, Sgt Dixon by then, was in his 80s...

It survived Z Cars and The Sweeney... surreal.
              Last edited by zeitghost; 9 September 2009, 08:10. Reason: Not 1980, but 1976...

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
                Good, just checking

Comment

morning!

Comment

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
                    It will shortly be 09:09 on 09/09/09. Happy thoughts.
                    Well... still here.

Idiot on local radio suggested perhaps the world would end at 9:09 tonight instead. Perhaps someone should explain the fact that grown ups use the 24 hours clock?

Comment

ok own up. who put the cyberman message on that zx spectrun link?

Comment

Working...
                      X