• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<BANG!> <BANG!> <BANG!> <BANG!> <BANG!>

<BANG!> <BANG!> <BANG!> <BANG!> <BANG!> <BANG!> <BANG!>

Why do builder's have to start each working day with a lump hammer?

Is it a tradition from when they were on the construction site; a way of saying "I'm here, boss"?
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Now out the front, one is using a drill. Heaven only knows what on.

Out the back, one's sawing wood.

With windows open front and back to keep the house less hot, this is going to get very tedious, very fast.

Especially when the dust starts coming in. I don't fancy having to replace all these processor fans.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

The houses are 'link-detached'. That is, there is a carriageway between them but two bedrooms above this carriageway. They have the room at the back; this house has the room at the front.

The neighbours are filling in the back half of the carriageway to make another room. There will be a void in front of it owned by this house.

So half their work will be on the far wall which we will hear reverberating as it is the room next to the office.

The other half of the work will be on 'our' wall which runs along one side of the office and our bedroom.

Their van is parked under the office window. Because the houses are set back from the road, we have a shared gravel front. The skip has gone in front of next door's house so they are parking in front of us.

At the moment I cannot see how to get the car out. I think we're going to have to start leaving the car on the council estate on the other side of the A road.

No lie-ins beyond 8 a.m. either from now on, courtesy of the "We've arrived" lump hammer.

It will mean the removals people won't be able to do their job when they come in about 9 days.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          It will mean the removals people won't be able to do their job when they come in about 9 days.
          When we moved in, the removals men carried the big things in through the carriageway and in through the big patio doors at the back. The furniture and contents of the shed now won't be going out that way.

As for where their van will go, heaven knows.

Comment

The woman next door came round and spoke to my wife about it on Saturday.

She said "You've been such lovely neighbours, no trouble and really quiet. So we knew you wouldn't mind. And, since we know you're moving, we thought we'd get it done now rather than upset the new people."

So that was nice.

Comment

The woman next door came round and spoke to my wife about it on Saturday.

She said "You've been such lovely neighbours, no trouble and really quiet. So we knew you wouldn't mind. And, since we know you're moving, we thought we'd get it done now rather than upset the new people."

So that was nice.

Comment

Good morning all!

Morning CM(again)!

Comment

The skip lorry has finally buggered off. Why should it take 20 minutes to drop off a skip? Sitting there with its poxy engine running while the driver gossips with the builders; I couldn't hear myself think.

They've left the skip so that I ought to be able to get the car out, eventually.

Instead of putting it outside their living room window as they had told us they would, it is sort of inbetween the houses at a squiffy angle.

It means the builders will need to go round our side, under the office window to get to where they are working

Since we have a tree outside our house, they can get their two cars in and out but we will barely be able to get our one car in and out.

Comment

It's all Scourer's fault. He started it.

You sound like my ex! I get the blame for everything.....

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      It's on the table in front of you. I'm not sure if it's brown sauce or ketchup though.

Pesky C thread in Technical; there's another half-hour I won't get back, and VM was OT talking about C++ anyway
                      Yes : you could have spent the time drivelling in tpd........

Comment

Working...
                      X