• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    WSS. I'll take some of that too.

Morning all, btw.

Morning

How did the date go? Tell me all!! (sorry if you already spilt the beans yesterday, I wasn't around - too hungover )
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Tricks are good. Our little flower is fine. Contract is good. The only problem is work itself (conceptually). You spend a long time trying to find a job / contract that you really like, thinking that that will make it all better, but then when you do, you realise that the search was pointless because it wasn't the job at all - it's work that is the problem. You are then in a worse state than before, because at least when you had a job that you didn't like, you had hope. Now all that is left is despair as your only options are penury and ignominious servitude. But mustn't grumble as I know there are plenty out there desperate to find work and you all have my sympathy. So I guess I'm lucky, but it doesn't feel like it sometimes. IS THIS AS GOOD AS IT GETS?

Anyway, how are you CM?
      Buddism teaches that life is "Dukkha" in the Pali language. Often translated as "Suffering", Dukkha refers to anything that is temporary or transient, conditional or compounded from other things. All things, precious and enjoyable or painfull and unpleasant are Dukkha, becasue they will end.

Buddism also teaches that the cause of suffering is craving or thirst (tanha). We continually search for something outside ourselves to make us happy. But no matter how successful we are, we never remain satisfied.

Buddism teaches that this thirst grows from ignorance of the self. We go through life grabbing one thing after another to get a sense of security about ourselves. We attach not only to physical things, but also to ideas and opinions about ourselves and the world around us. Then we grow frustrated when the world doesn't behave the way we think it should and our lives don't conform to our expectations.

Buddists belive that through diligent practice, we can put an end to craving. Ending the hamster-wheel chase after satisfaction is enlightenment (bodhi, "awakened"). The enlightened being exists in a state called Nirvana.

I'm not saying you should rush out and become a Buddist, but anyone wrestling with the question of "Is this all there is?" may find something usefull in what Buddism says about life. I'm not a Buddist, if anything I'd say I was a Humanist with Buddist tendancies, but it did help me put things into a little more perspective and mentally get me off the hamster-wheel.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Ok, that was way too deep for a Teusday Morning TPD post.

Just trying to think about somthing else after Cybertwunt finally pressed one button too many in General.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          Buddism teaches that life is "Dukkha" in the Pali language. Often translated as "Suffering", Dukkha refers to anything that is temporary or transient, conditional or compounded from other things. All things, precious and enjoyable or painfull and unpleasant are Dukkha, becasue they will end.

Buddism also teaches that the cause of suffering is craving or thirst (tanha). We continually search for something outside ourselves to make us happy. But no matter how successful we are, we never remain satisfied.

Buddism teaches that this thirst grows from ignorance of the self. We go through life grabbing one thing after another to get a sense of security about ourselves. We attach not only to physical things, but also to ideas and opinions about ourselves and the world around us. Then we grow frustrated when the world doesn't behave the way we think it should and our lives don't conform to our expectations.

Buddists belive that through diligent practice, we can put an end to craving. Ending the hamster-wheel chase after satisfaction is enlightenment (bodhi, "awakened"). The enlightened being exists in a state called Nirvana.

I'm not saying you should rush out and become a Buddist, but anyone wrestling with the question of "Is this all there is?" may find something usefull in what Buddism says about life. I'm not a Buddist, if anything I'd say I was a Humanist with Buddist tendancies, but it did help me put things into a little more perspective and mentally get me off the hamster-wheel.
          Thank you for that. Steered me back to something I'd forgotten about. A friend of mine is drifting towards secular Buddhism and seems all the happier for it. Actually, my discontent arises from the knowledge that earning large amounts of money will never help...

Comment

Ok, that was way too deep for a Teusday Morning TPD post.

Just trying to think about somthing else after Cybertwunt finally pressed one button too many in General.
            Try not to let him wind you up! So not worth it!! He's on my ignore list too but people quote him and I end up reading it which makes me want to smack him in the chops!!
            Bazza gets caught

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
              Morning

How did the date go? Tell me all!! (sorry if you already spilt the beans yesterday, I wasn't around - too hungover )
              A gentleman never tells!

Comment

Chill Dude......... Cybertwunt isn't worth it....
                <Breathe in>
                Relax....
                <Breathe out>
                <Repeat until calm>

Good throwaway by the way... "No 2" made me smile....

Have a mellow (and manly)

Comment

A gentleman never tells!
                  True, but we're asking you, not him.

Comment

A gentleman never tells!
                    Quite right too Menelaus............
                    [Obvious Punchline]
                    but as it's you we are asking......
                    [/Obvious Punchline]

Comment

A gentleman never tells!
                      Bollocks to that - there are no secrets in TPD... Spill!
                      Bazza gets caught

Comment

Working...
                      X