• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    night!
    night!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      So, best run so far!

Time - 19' 31"
      Pace - 9:40 min/mi
      Distance - 2.01 mi
      Calories - 210

And my Garmin's turned up - picking it up on Friday...
      A new best for me as well.

Time - 32' 43" ( -4' 12" )
      Pace - 6.5 Min/km
      Distance - 5 km
      Calories - 455

Using a Polar F11 atm. No GPS but I know the distances I am running.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
        Still struggling with an Oracle issue at ClientCo
        You need to invoke Apollo to slay Python to get The Oracle kickstarted, apparently

It's probably even more complicated if The Oracle is using Windows

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
          Evening everyone
          Hi Carling

Comment

Evening!
            Hi cojak

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              Evening CM!

Evening all!
              Evening Doggie calm down, VF

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                Evening everyone
                Hi Bunk

Comment

So, best run so far!

Time - 19' 31"
                  Pace - 9:40 min/mi
                  Distance - 2.01 mi
                  Calories - 210

And my Garmin's turned up - picking it up on Friday...
                  Running?

As Pascal said, "All of humanity’s problems stem from man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone."

I assume Pascal included sitting in a room in a pub as a justifiable activity when he was creating this damning indictment of the cult of exercise

Comment

lol. this new gig is going to be like my first one. there is so much to learn! difference being i know what to do. i'm seriously up for it.
                    FTW!

I found myself smiling broadly for no apparent reason this evening - the reason being that I've managed to create a situation at ClientOrg where I'm committed to creating a viable solution based around a standard so new that it's still in development, but is definitely the way of the future (WAI-ARIA, since you ask).

Ergo, I'm going to have to work my tits off to get my head around the standard, get my head around the "best practices" document, and actually implement something that works... and then stay ahead of that particular curve long enough to ensure that it becomes my little fiefdom on this project; for if nobody else knows as much as I do, nobody else knows how long it will take to implement

Oh, and I also need to make sure that I'm completely au fait with it for the conference in a couple of weeks, where I'll have the chance to chat to some of the World's leading experts on the topic; I always find one can learn a lot more by talking to these people in the pub afterwards (assuming one is sufficiently up to speed to ask the right questions) than one learns from their presentations, which are naturally aimed at the wider audience who are looking for a general grasp of the topic rather than detailed information.

Top Tip: It can be worth asking a seriously recondite question of these people during the Q&A following their presentation, simply to provoke them into inviting you to discuss the matter more fully with them off-conference

Comment

yeah - most of my contracts are 12 to 18 monthers. plenty of sit and stick but my skillset has become outdated and i absolutely have to change with the times. i could probably go back to an old client but that would be a hollow security if they don't change too.
                      Indeed - it's always necessary to get up to speed on the new stuff in this game.

To be honest, that's what I like about it. Today I had a look at the comp.lang.javascript FAQ from twelve years ago. I'd forgotten quite a few of those bugs, hacks, and workarounds. Then I had a look at the questions on comp.lang.javascript, the jQuery list, and stackoverflow.com. The vast majority of people are still so baffled - and this applies not just to JS, but to any area of endeavour related to software development - that it's quite clear that hardly any of them actually understand the technologies they deal with day-to-day.

This is why it behoves us to keep up to speed, and then milk our superior knowledge for every damn penny we can get.

Because we're worth it ™

Comment

Working...
                      X