• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    It's a quote from The Untouchables, as is "Here endeth the lesson". Both spoken by Shir Sean.
    Oh. I don't remember that bit.

I remember the interrogation-by-shooting and the write-his-name-in-blood but not the 'G' thing.
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Now then.

Since I'm a minging whiffer, I'm off for a shower before bed.
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

I'll be back.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post

I have no idea about any of that
          You (probably) don't need to know any of it - it's strictly "those were the days and didn't they suck except for the bits that didn't" stuff

Thanks for the though

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
            Still haven't managed to fix my early/late COM binding issue at ClientCo
            Is it something to do with different COM components using different threading models? That was always likely to cause one hell of a stink when multiple processes tried to use a shared component asynchronously, IIRC

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
              I'll be back.

Comment

26 minutes to the Shipping Forecast.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Is it something to do with different COM components using different threading models? That was always likely to cause one hell of a stink when multiple processes tried to use a shared component asynchronously, IIRC
                  In fact, didn't Microsoft make a terrible mistake by producing a Dictionary component intended for use in scripting scenarios such as ASP, but made it apartment-threaded instead of free-threaded, with the result that a load of sample code they'd put out wouldn't work on IIS?

Ah no, my memory is failing me - it was that Eric Lippert (who's a lovely chap, BTW) accidentally marked it as "both" instead of "apartment" (second comment, by Mr Lippert himself) - ASP liked apartment threading

I remember having no end of trouble with an ASP app where we cached some XSLT stuff in Application - I fixed it by using the MSXML2 FreeThreadedDOMDocument, which (if you read the docs, as I ought to have done) was the reason they introduced that

I would supply a link to the relevant docs, but they seem to have broken the MSDN library to an inconceivable extent at the moment...

Ah, found it (via Google - who would've thunk it?) and suffice to say it's an unbelievably obscure thing to spot even in their own documentation

You need to pick out a scarcely-mentioned point on this page (whilst ignoring the fact that the example they claim to be written in JavaScript has the heading "J#", which is of course their own [failed] take on Java, and has as much to do with JavaScript as a car has to do with a carpet) and this page where you need to read a code example and notice the subtle point that it's using the "FreeThreadedDOMDocument" identifier - a fact not called out anywhere else on the page, but without which your attempt to cache an XSLProcessor in the ASP Application object will fail, even though the XSLProcessor itself is perfectly happy there, was designed to live in places like that, and merely needs the support of its original stylesheet document having been a FreeThreadedDOMDocument rather than a mere DOMDocument

Leaky Abstractions in COM? Never...

Comment

Morning drivellers
                    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                      Find a local footpath and go explore the countryside.
                      We're starting to do that more and more - fnally managed to pick up an OS Explorer map of the area where we live, and there look to be some good trails nearby.
                      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Working...
                      X