• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Evening all

I am just going to dropp off the twins

Comment

Evening denizens

The arduous journey from office desk to hotel bedroom has been undertaken. I was slightly held up by the receptionist being momentarily distracted before opening the security gate to let me out (they haven't sorted out my proper pass yet), and I took the stairs here, so it took me almost two whole minutes to complete the journey

It turned out all that fire malarkey earlier was a fire drill. At least they didn't make the mistake of some places I've been where they email everybody in advance to tell them when the drill will be, with the result that loads of people go outside early to beat the crush

Comment

Time to wander out in search of food

See you later

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Evening denizens

The arduous journey from office desk to hotel bedroom has been undertaken. I was slightly held up by the receptionist being momentarily distracted before opening the security gate to let me out (they haven't sorted out my proper pass yet), and I took the stairs here, so it took me almost two whole minutes to complete the journey

It turned out all that fire malarkey earlier was a fire drill. At least they didn't make the mistake of some places I've been where they email everybody in advance to tell them when the drill will be, with the result that loads of people go outside early to beat the crush
            When I was at UBS then had an "invacuation" where you all crush into the toilets! Most people went to starbucks......

Comment

I am watching embarrassing illnesses on C4.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I am watching embarrassing illnesses on C4.
                Seen anything you recognise?

Comment

Thunderstorms here tonight

On my way back from the pub, a young gentleman from Scotland sought discourse with me - in the sense that he kept jumping sideways in front of me as I attempted to get round him, until I finally resigned myself to the inevitability of talking with him

It transpired that he wanted to know if I believed in Jesus, although his enquiry didn't appear to be inspired by any evangelical zeal, given that one of his hands contained a quarter-full pint glass (which I strongly suspect him to have removed, without proper authority, from the hostelry to which he had most recently resorted).

I assured him that I believed that there had been an existing historical figure known by that name, assuming that this being Cambridge I could, if theological push came to rationalist shove, cite a reference by the Romano-Jewish historian Josephus from around A.D. 70. Of course this has no real historical validity, but it turned out that he chose to interpret my carefully-worded assertion as an affirmation of faith (which it clearly wasn't) and moved on to more pressing matters.

These turned out to be about the evils of LSD. I was able to correct him (eventually) by pointing out that it was the psychologist Humphrey Osmond, not Timothy Leary, who had introduced Aldous Huxley to the use of major psychedelics which so comforted him in his final years. This seemed to reassure the young Scotsman that I was sufficiently cognisant of the matters that concerned him as to be in no further need of his assistance. So, having first insisted in bumping the front of his clenched fist, held with the vertical axis running between the fingers, against mine (why do people do that?) he went on his way, and I went on mine

The thunder is still rumbling away out there - it's headed over to the west now

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    So, having first insisted in bumping the front of his clenched fist, held with the vertical axis running between the fingers, against mine (why do people do that?) he went on his way, and I went on mine
                    I understand that it is a variant of the "High Five".

What time did this happen? April 16th 2009 is "National High Five Day" in the USA. A tradition that has been observed over there in some parts since as long ago as the year 2002.

Perhaps your new Scottish friend was demonstrating his solidarity with our American cousins?

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                      I understand that it is a variant of the "High Five".

What time did this happen? April 16th 2009 is "National High Five Day" in the USA. A tradition that has been observed over there in some parts since as long ago as the year 2002.

Perhaps your new Scottish friend was demonstrating his solidarity with our American cousins?
                      Hi Gonzo

It happened around 23:35, and he didn't seem to have any kind of tradition on his mind other than the Scottish tradition of moving to England and talking bollocks to strangers when exceedingly drunk

Time for me to crash - see you later

Comment

Working...
                      X