• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    That was a fright - my email server on my dedicated server just went down, but then I remembered I had scheduled a reboot for 2.00am
    It's back now - phew!
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

None taken

I'm the first to admit that there is plenty that is horribly broken with that platform, and I really only use a small fraction of what it provides. That fraction can be rather handy though.
      In my experience (and I have in fact used it, at least in earlier versions) the most important thing is to ignore most of it. Viewstate is wretchedly broken (for example, it made it impossible to have a simple search box on a page if that page also contained an entirely separate form without then being forced into ridiculous contortions to work out if the user was trying to buy something, or just searching for "walnuts"), and all the standard controls are appalling (although I believe more recent versions have slightly improved the hard-coded markup, I think subclassing them and overriding the Render method is probably still a sensible thing - which means you might just as well create your own from the base class and be done with it).

Everybody I know who achieves successful stuff with ASP.NET does so by ignoring about 95% of it, and re-implementing the bits they need of that 95%'s functionality correctly on the foundation of the remaining 5%

Comment

Might as well drivel on for the century I suppose

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Everybody I know who achieves successful stuff with ASP.NET does so by ignoring about 95% of it, and re-implementing the bits they need of that 95%'s functionality correctly on the foundation of the remaining 5%
          You can definitely add me to *that* list That is an uncanny description of my approach - it's nice to know I'm not alone.

Comment

Might as well drivel on for the century I suppose
            Can't just leave it hanging there, after all.

Comment

Can't just leave it hanging there, after all.
              It would feel unwanted, unloved and unappreciated.

Comment

I'm setting this up to be poached aren't I.

Comment

I'm setting this up to be poached aren't I.
                  Or maybe not

Comment

Damn, dedicated server needs another restart. This will affect my server availability stats for the year

Comment

Must get Adobe Photoshop back onto my dev machine tomorrow so I can extract the photos in RAW format from my D50, then convert them to a more "Internet friendly" format for publishing on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
                      X