• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q: How many software engineers does it take to change a light bulb?

A: None; that's a hardware problem.

Comment

Once I got home and found that the electricity had indeed been delivered, I actually cried out "Hey, Apes'R'Us, The World is back!" as I got the Internet connection working

(Apes'R'Us are the numerous cuddly-toy simians, elephants, and serpents that are kind enough to allow me to share their flat.)

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Leccy's back

Four in the afternoon it went off. Nearly two in the morning and it's back on
        10 hours without electricity - no Internet, no TV or DVDs, what a nightmare.

Sometimes you have to wonder how people managed to cope before the 20th Century without any of these things. Most of them wouldn't have been able to read either so they could hardly settle down with a good book.

Of course, people didn't live so long in those days but thinking about it, who would want to?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          As I was trogging home, I could see the flashing orange lights in the vicinity of home. Then the repair crew came zooming past me at the junction up the road, and when I got home past the major excavation in the pavement, it was working again
          They must be busy though: they didn't even backfill before heading off to the next problem.

Bugger of a job on a night like this

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

Sometimes you have to wonder how people managed to cope before the 20th Century without any of these things. Most of them wouldn't have been able to read either so they could hardly settle down with a good book.

Of course, people didn't live so long in those days but thinking about it, who would want to?
            I passed the time reading by candlelight.

And what was I reading?

Microserfs by Douglas Coupland

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

James Herriot, in one of his early books set around 1930 or so, describes a callout to a remote farm in the Dales owned by three middle-aged brothers.

As he walks by the window of the farmhouse's living room, he looks in. The three brothers are sat in a row on a settle, not talking, not listening to the wireless, not reading - they're just sat there, in front of the fire.

As Herriot says, this must have been how such people had lived their lives for centuries. Up early in the morning, hard work tending livestock in bitter conditions, and in the evening you eat your dinner, and then you just sit there gazing at the fire until you go to bed and do the same things the next day.

Sometimes that doesn't sound so bad to me. It must be nice to be able to stop at the end of the day knowing that there's nothing more for you to think about until tomorrow.

Comment

Morning Peeps.

Shan't bother catching up, did I miss anything?

Comment

Morning all

Comment

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
                    Morning Peeps.

Shan't bother catching up, did I miss anything?
                    I have 20k tpd posts

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      I have 20k tpd posts
                      BrilloPad
                      GreatestOfDads

century

Comment

Working...
                      X