• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How old does this make you feel?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How old does this make you feel?

COBOL turns 50.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    I first encountered COBOL circa 1978. My first thoughts were "what a load of bollocks, so much inferior to PL/1" this was still my opinion in 1997 which was the last (let's hope so) time I was on an assignment which involved developing in COBOL.
    If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

PL/1 was better. BASIC/FORTRAN still much more ancient.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Yup, PL1 was quite elegant in its way. At Prime Computer we used a trimmed down version called plp (in which much of Primos was written), although the OS group were moving towards Modula 2 for new development. You don't hear much about that language these days.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Yup, PL1 was quite elegant in its way. At Prime Computer we used a trimmed down version called plp (in which much of Primos was written), although the OS group were moving towards Modula 2 for new development. You don't hear much about that language these days.
          I developed a text based "Window" system as part of an "ESPRIT" project in Modula 2.

Pascal 1 - Modula 2

A lovely language!

COBOL - 50? Bloody hell, God bless you Grace!

Comment

Originally posted by Chantho View Post
            I first encountered COBOL circa 1978. My first thoughts were "what a load of bollocks, so much inferior to PL/1" this was still my opinion in 1997 which was the last (let's hope so) time I was on an assignment which involved developing in COBOL.
            I did a Mandelbrot plotting program in COBOL, just for fun.

It wasn't fun.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Ahhhh Prime Computers.......
              I spent some time with "Prime Information" and "Infomation Connections" and "Info/Basic"........ and a few 3rd Party variations... "SIMPLE" which was probably an Acronym of something.... basically it generated Info/Basic code that was a lot more verbose that even I could manage on a bad day.... then we went in a cut&pasted and variously cobbled in chunks of code to make it do what we really wanted..... the main problem being that it (SIMPLE) used 000's of common routines that were totally opaque to the coder and didn't "quite" do what was wanted... so basically it generated code that needed to be edited to remove all the "common routines" that had to be re-coded to comply with the spaghetti code..... talk about a "Crock of Tulip".......

Those were the days....

Comment

Working...
              X