• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone done the aurora borealis?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone done the aurora borealis?

So it looks like there isn't a travel sub-forum, and there flippin' well should be! I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to get Mrs B0redom for Christmas, so I was thinking of going and seeing the Northern Lights (and no I don't mean Blackpool).

Anyone done this? We'd probably only spend the weekend away as junior b0redom 1, 2, and 3 would run the grandparents ragged!

Recommendations of places to stay etc?
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    So it looks like there isn't a travel sub-forum, and there flippin' well should be! I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to get Mrs B0redom for Christmas, so I was thinking of going and seeing the Northern Lights (and no I don't mean Blackpool).

Anyone done this? We'd probably only spend the weekend away as junior b0redom 1, 2, and 3 would run the grandparents ragged!

Recommendations of places to stay etc?
    Visited Iceland with the objective of seeing the Northern Lights. Whilst I can thoroughly recommend Iceland, seeing the lights is very dependent on clear skies and ideal weather conditions. We were there 4 cloudy nights and ended up travelling for 6 hours to see a vague glow that could have been a street lamp.

So I'd suggest that, wherever you decide to go, you look upon seeing the Aurora Borealis as possible extra if you're lucky, rather than the purpose of your trip or you're likely to end up disappointed.

Edit: Iceland is ideal for a weekend - one day to do the Blue Lagoon and wander round Reykjavik, one day to do the 'Golden Circle' tour - geysers, waterfalls etc.

Edit Edit: We went in Feb, and it was flippin' freezing!
    Last edited by mudskipper; 12 November 2014, 22:06.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

So I'd suggest that, wherever you decide to go, you look upon seeing the Aurora Borealis as possible extra if you're lucky, rather than the purpose of your trip or you're likely to end up disappointed.
      This! I'd love to do it but it's so unpredictable you may well be spending a weekend in darkness and see nothing.

Comment

A mate of mine went somewhere to see them, stayed in an ice hotel, cost a fortune and never saw them.

I've seen them twice from Yorkshire though
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I saw them many times as a youth but the missus and the rest of the clan are desperate to see them.

So far, I took the missus up to Tromso - zip
          Took the whole family(40 of us) up to Harris 2 months ago for a week - zip
          took the missus to keilder reservoir observatory- zip

it's really a matter of luck
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
          X